Chapter 16

[Selene] 

"This way, though I'm sure you already know the way, Alpha Soren." 

Alpha Soren inattentively shook his head and looked unknowing to his wife who was listening in on her husband's affairs. Hand-in-hand, almost attached by the hip, the two constantly glancing at each other with utmost affection not caring about those who were near them.

I was kind of jealous, at the way they looked great together. Deep in my wicked thoughts, I kind of hope Lucca and I will be much in love like that one day. 

"I go to many places in one week, Alpha Lucca. Excuse me if I am unfamiliar with your territory." Alpha Soren replied nonchalantly.

Peyton snorted and patted his shoulder. "If you call letting the kids drag you to five different beaches and three amusement parks then, yeah...you go many places in one week." 

Behind them Beta Luca smirked, which sounded more like a muffled sneeze. Alpha Soren rolled his eyes and cockily grinned at Lucca. 

"I'm a family man," was his excuse. 

Beta Luca decided to get down to business. "Allow me to me clarify the rules of this assignment." He cleared his throat and walked backwards like a pro, facing the men in direction. "As you all know, the purpose of this examination is to observe whether your Alpha is capable of running your pack. It was reported to Alpha Soren that Alpha Lucca is incapable of being your leader. So we are here to test that. "

Everyone nodded, while Lucca tensed next to me with his head facing away from the crowd. 

"Today, we will merely test you on common knowledge. We will secretly choose five people amongst your selves, to play as the 'hunter'. These 'hunters' will be given specific instruction to deceive you into their traps."

"We have already chosen them." Alpha Soren added. 

I looked around at the faces of each man. They looked at each other with caution, feeling intimidated by the fact that their closest comrade may be their short-lived enemy.

Dad stood by Lucca side, both tense but ready for whatever faith would decide in the next few days. 

As we gathered in the open field, Lucca seated me on the ground by his feet, telling me not to move unless he said otherwise. 

I hate being told what to do.

My dad had always done it and now Lucca. It was irritating both my wolf and me. Since the incident in the bedroom, my wolf has been more communicative with me. I can't talk to her, but we can feel each other's feelings. 

"You two haven't been together long?" Alpha Peyton tried sitting down next to me.

By tried, I mean, she squatted and rolling on her hands and knees until she carefully sat with her legs stretched. Her stomach is so huge it looked like a beach ball. I was afraid to sit with her thinking she might explode any minute.

"Careful, babe." Alpha Soren frowned, resting his hand on her back. "Luca, can you-

"Don't baby me." Alpha Peyton said stubbornly, brushing off her husband's hand when he tried to help her move to a more comfortable spot. "I want to sit here in the shade and have some talk time with the ladies." 

She gestured to me and also waved over Luisa to sit with us.

Of course, we didn't deny her and sat on both opposite ends near her. 

"I'm only concerned about-

She cut him off again. "One more word out of your mouth, dear, and I will be forced to use my wrath of you!" She glared at him and the strong Alpha backed away like a dog with his tail between his knees.