Chapter 15

[Lucca] 

The anticipation was killing me, but I didn’t show it on my face. The men were warming up for the big day, the day I find out the outcome of my future.

Will I continue as the pack’s Alpha?

“They really have improved.” Selene stood by my side holding my hand, because I refused to let her go. She didn’t mind at the very least.

“Alpha, the equipment has been set.” Jerome informed me, than tentatively looked at our interlocked hands.

I growled. “Is there something wrong with your Alpha holding his mate’s hand?”

His eyes widened like saucers. “N-no, of course not!” He said hastily. “Excuse me, I have something else to attend to.” He took a quick glance at Selene and nodded in respect.

Selene shifted uncomfortably and tugged my arm for my attention. “I’m not ever going to get used to that.” She muttered.

“The respect?”

“No…Jerome being polite.”

I laughed. “He knows your mine now; the penalty for disrespecting me is great, but disrespecting my mate is even much worse.”

She rolled her eyes. “I’m not your possession.”

“You. Are. Mine. Get used to it.” The atitude, I thought, was really hot.

“Not if I can help it.” I winked at her.

Before I got the chance to chastise my cheeky mate, the men started sprinting in chaos as news of Alpha Soren’s arrival neared to minutes.

Mom grasped my shoulder from behind. “The boarder patrol can see their vehicles nearing our estate.”

I nodded. “Tell them to prepare escort. I want them all to feel like honored guests.”

Not only did I want to show Alpha Soren and the old geezers that my pack was strong, but I also wanted them to see that we had style and class. The whole place was cleaned from the roof tiles to the cellar, within three days and that was between training. Although the few days have been tough, I was proud of my men for sticking with the work through and through.

“Alpha,” Grant took his position as my Beta right next to me. He looked at his daughter and nodded. She nodded back and I sighed visibly at how ridiculous these to were. I mean, come on! It wasn’t awkward for a father and daughter to show affection compared to a mother and son with a room full of grown men.

The two looked at me. Selene have me a questioning look, while her father, my beta, narrowed his eyes and crossed his arms over his chest.

“Everyone head out to the front yard. We will all welcome our visitors.” I said.

We all excited the house like a colony of ants and waited for the cars to appear from the horizon.

“You won’t tell him about ‘you-know-what’.” Grant asked me.

He was talking about our little secret regarding my mate.

“NO,” I said sternly and held Selene closer by resting my hand on the side of her hip.

This action was not left unnoticed by the rest of the pack. I had told them earlier that Selene Grant was my mate and I had marked her as mine. The news was a shock to them, but they recovered quickly with the realization that having Selene as Luna, wouldn’t pull through if I end up losing my position at the end of the day.

My men swore loyalty to me, but without a doubt I new they were skeptical of the outcome and I didn’t blame them. I was reluctant as well. 

Before, I was upset by the sudden burden of being a leader to my father’s pack, but now after a few days I’ve confronted everything as a challenge I accept as faith. Training my men, building their trust, forming stability in our back with the guidance of my Beta and mother, I feel as though I’ve also changed as a person.