Chapter 14

[Selene]

There she was, my wolf. She sat on top of a huge rock looking over me with such regal appearance. For the six years since I’ve felt her guiding me through my subconscious, this is the first time I felt like she was really real.

I extended my hand to touch her. She didn’t flinch or move like most animals would do. Her beautiful eyes looked longingly at me as if she had waited years for this encounter. Bright topaz in contrast to the crystal aqua blue, it was like her eyes represented us as a whole; two individuals of the same soul.

When my fingers touched her snout, she reacted my nuzzling her head closer to my palm in affection. Her crème fur thick and soft like silk between my fingers. She didn’t say it, but the words filled my head.

I will always protect you.

My heart filled with warmth and a mixture of love and guilt.

For years, I silently resented myself for being different; here she was, my wolf, loving me for who I am and accepting who we are. She looked no different then any other wolf expect her eyes.

The darkness around us began to fade and as the seconds passed light engrossed everything until my wolf looked like it melted into the background, disappearing into it.

“No” I whimpered. I didn’t want her to leave yet.

I’m with you always.

That was the last thing I heard before my eyes opened and I awoke in a chilly dark room.

Where am I?

I shifted my head to the side and inspected my surroundings.

The cottage, I was back in the cottage.

“Dad” My voice felt like a wet rag that was wrung dry.

Footsteps patted quickly towards my closed door. It stopped as soon as it got close and I watched as the doorknob twisted, but did not open.

“Dad” I said again.

My throat felt so dry, I thought about asking for water, but I don’t think I can manage more than one syllable.

The door creaked as it slowly opened. A tall lean figure entered, but it wasn’t my dad.

It was Lucca.

Immediately visions of my last conscious thought played in my head like a videocassette tape on fast-forward. My hand automatically flew to my neck where I remembered he had forcedly bitten me. The surface was rough because it was starting to heal.

Lucca’s jaw tensed as he saw me do this. He inched closer, but on instinct I moved away, as far as the bed could allow me. His knuckles turned white from curling his fist too tight on each side.

I didn’t even notice I was crying until a tear landed on the bed sheets with a soft sound. Lucca’s tense expression dropped to a concerned one.

Finally he broke the silence. “I’m sorry.”

The two words left me gapping at him in awe.

He studied my face and waited for me to say something, but when I didn’t he continued talking.

“My wolf—I couldn’t control myself and he took over. I’m sorry I bit you.” He sighed, grasping his head in frustration.

I could clearly see how distraught he felt and that made me want to comfort him despite how much I was reluctant to be with him in the same room.