1

One year after Washington D.C.. Lauren and Steve have made it official.

Their love is unspoken. They've managed to keep it a secret.

Being Avengers, it's harder than a normal couple.

They haven't even told Natasha or Clint.

They've decided to hide their romance.

But the past few nights have been anything but romantic.

Lauren has been having intense, vivid nightmares. She doesn't know why. They're bad enough to where she wakes up in the middle of the night, screaming at the top of her lungs and crying her eyes out.

It feels like she's being forced.

It happened. It happened again.

She twists and turns in her sleep, her breathing becoming heavier. She tightly closes her eyes, gripping her bed sheets with an iron grip. When she starts whimpering, it catches Steve's attention. He opens his eyes, seeing his love struggling with the nightmares.

He gently tries to shake her awake, saying her name in a soothing manner, but she doesn't hear it. She's in too deep. The nightmares makes her forget that she's dreaming.

She finally wakes. She screams at the top of her lungs as she jumps up. Tears stream down her face like a river.

Steve gently rubs her back as he tries to soothe her.

Lauren's fingers curl in her hair as she tries to quiet the noises. The wallpaper starts to crumble as it burns. She screams out in agony, begging to make it stop.

Steve puts his hands on either side of her face, making her look him in the eyes.

Her eyes flutter open and stare deeply into his. Steve's ocean blue eyes have a calming effect on her. She's finally able to calm down.

Steve wraps his arms around her and lies down so she's on his chest. He gently strokes her hair as she deeply inhales his scent. She doesn't want to talk about it. She just wants to go back to sleep. She's exhausted.

Steve feels so helpless. Not being able to stop the nightmares... or protect her from herself. Steve's heart clenches at the sight of her. He wants nothing more than to help her.

" Forever and ever," Lauren says, her voice raw from crying.

"Until death tears us apart."