The weekend

It was a Saturday, I woke up by 6:00 AM and carried out my daily routine of sweeping the house, doing the dishes, fetching water, preparing breakfast and moping the house if I had to.

Later that morning, I boiled some water and bathed my younger sister, Enohor who is five years old.

"Otega!" Enohor called as I dried her towel in the hanger. My family usually call me by my nick name, Otega, but my full name is Oghenetega.

"Am I wearing this right?" She asked. I stopped to look at her, I tried not to laugh.

She was wearing her trouser inside- out on her neck and slid her chubby little arms into the two legs of the trouser. Then she slid the neck of her T-shirt round her waist.

"Where does this go?". She asked, holding up her underwear over her head. I started laughing.

"You need more practice". I laughed some more.

"Stop laughing, teach me how to wear my clothes please. I want to show mummy and daddy that I'm a big girl like you now". I stopped laughing and smiled at her.

"So you're a big girl?" I smiled at her.

"Yes". she said, with all seriousness.

I taught her how to put on her shirt and helped her with her trouser. Then I went off to bath. Few minutes later, my mother walked out of her room.

"Mummy!! Migwor (I am on my kneels) ma". Enohor greeted.

"Migwor ma". I greeted as well.

"Vrendo my darlings". she replied.

Shortly after, our father came out and we greeted him as well.

By 8:00 AM, my elder sister, Oyovwikemo who we like to call Kemo walked out of her room looking weak and her eyes swollen.

She had been sick for a while now and so I had to do house chores on my own, not like I had a problem with that anyway. I went over to her and greeted her.

"Sister Kemo how is your health?" I asked.

"I'm fine but I still feel a bit weak and dizzy". She said.

"Then you should go back to bed!" A childish voice said behind us, it was Enohor.

"I'm not sleepy anymore". Sister Kemo said.

"Ok then, Sister Kemo, can I talk to you? It's about my friend, Kosi". I said, I wanted to tell her everything and ask for advice.

She's in SS 2, so I'm sure she've experienced friendship problems before me and has more experience.

She took me into her room and asked me to speak. I told her everything, from when we became friends to the lie she told on me. Sister Kemo shook her head disappointedly.

"When you told me about Kosi on your first day of school, I thought she was a good person. She's too young to stoop so low because of a boy who might not even like her. Does she do well in her academics?". Sister Kemo asked.

"At the beginning of the term she was doing well but now she doesn't care about her academics, when we were still friends she often talked about romance". I said.

My sister exclaimed.

"But Sister Kemo". I said. "I think I like the Daniel boy". I admitted shyly. My sister smiled.

"When I was in the junior secondary section I had a crush on a boy too. He eventually admitted that he liked me back and I was happy for that but then, slowly and gradually my academic performances became low because I was concentrating on my love life more. I left the boy and began working on the things I had done badly on. You can like the boy because it's normal for your age and the stage you're in. Just be careful and put your academics and your friends first before him, okay.". She said.

"Okay". I told her.

"By the way, since you tried talking to Kosi about her issues and she didn't listen I think you should do either of two things. You should either report to a teacher about it or you should avoid her and keep your distance from her. Personally, I would do both". she said.

I smiled and thanked her for the advice.
I went to my room thinking about it. If I report her to a teacher, she would hate me more and would make my life a living hell, and if I avoid her, she'll still find ways to turture me. None of it sounds good.

This was bad!