5.

The ride back to the village was silent. There was a certain emotion on Hanna and Pyr's face. I knew that one. They were looking for a way to justify the lives they'd just taken.

I didn't approach them. They needed the silence. They'd ask for my help if they needed it.

Hanna led my horse for a while after we left the forest so Pippa could look over the lack of my injuries in the back of the cart. The warmth from her healing mana made me temporarily forget about my low mana. She also wiped down my face and fussed a little about the blood on my shirt. Seems like the possibility of me being injured is a way to get her to open up.

I got back on my horse once Pippa let me go. Hanna mumbled something about watching the back and slowed down to fall behind the caravan. I watched her go, but my eyes stopped on Pyr behind me.

Her head was straight, but she was clearly lost in thought. Before I could stop myself, my lips moved. "You okay?"

Her eyes cleared up and moved to meet mine. It took a moment before she nodded. "Yeah... just..." She looked away. "The archer in the forest... did I kill him?"

"No." My reply was immediate, voice sure enough for her to look up again. "You got his leg. I killed him because his guard was down." She didn't need to know.

"You... You did." I saw her shoulders slump in relief. "That's... That's..." She cleared her throat as she looked away again. "Also, sorry about not sensing the other guy. I only sent the Sense out in the direction of the archer."

"It's okay." I replied easily as I pushed my horse ahead. "You were occupied with the cart and the walls around us. Good work, by the way. You've got amazing speed and defenses."

"I... I do?" I heard her uncertain voice from behind me.

I nodded. My head turned to the side to throw her a soft smile over my shoulder. "You do. You protected us all very well."

I saw her eyes lower again, but this was different. Her face relaxed and she smiled to herself. Her lips moved to herself. I did.

I turned back around. She was fine for now.

The village came into view soon. I felt eyes move to me as as we walked through it to get to the village hall. The bloody shirt was the cause of it. I knew I should've worn the leather armor on top of it.

The lady at the counter looked up as I walked in. Pyr and Hanna had taken my horse and the cart back to the merchant. I was here alone.

Her eyes moved to my shirt and she gasped out loud. "Oh my Lord!" She stood up and leaned over her desk as I approached her. "Are you okay? Are you hurt?! Do you need a h-"

"I'm fine." I cut her off as I pulled the lacrima out of my pocket. "It's not my blood. Here's your proof."

She barely glanced at the lacrima I rolled across her desk. Her eyes were still on my shirt. "It's not your blood?"

"No." I pointed at the lacrima. "Proof- there. Money- now."

She frowned at me as she slowly sat back down. "Such impatience." She looked down at the lacrima. "What is it?"

"Hold it and close your eyes." I reached up to scratch my head. It was warm from the sun. I need a bath.

She gingerly picked up the lacrima. Her eyes sparkled a moment before she closed her eyes as she realised the value of it. I watched her carefully as she went through the map. Her eyebrows moved every now and then. "Who do the two horses behind you belong to?"

"Some travellers who came upon us right after we finished. They were there looking for herbs."

"We ordered villagers not to go there."