29.

The sun had barely risen. It was a nice day by the looks of it. Getting cooler, end of summer, nice breeze as I stood on the bridge above the black moat. Being blocked by the two sentries who barely even glanced at me when I entered or exited the Castle anymore.

"What..." I stared at them blankly before I stopped my protest. They'd know from my voice that I'm a woman. I glanced between the two, clearly confused.

The one on the left glanced at his friend. "You can't leave." I didn't move. "Blademaster prohibits it." Alasha...

I waved a hand around, a vague question.

"The order came last night." The other one spoke. His eyes moved over me. "Good timing, I suppose. Deserters are hunted and executed."

"And seeing Blademaster and Killian's clear soft spot for you, maybe this is a blessing for you." The left one again. He waved towards me, like a pesky bird he wanted to shoo away. "Go back. Follow your Master's orders, Apprentice." He snickered. "You can't run before I see your ass get handed to you by the other Apprentices."

Of course, they all already know. Men gossip more than women.

I stayed where I was. My eyes moved over the two as my foot shifted slightly back. Taller than me, built. A shortsword by both their waists, light chest armour... I could t—

"Apprentice." The voice surprised me. My head whipped around as Killian emerged from the same small door I'd just used. "Good, you're still here." He yawned wide as he walked up to me. "Let's go."

I wanted to speak. I wanted to speak so bad. Mostly curse.

He strolled over to stand beside me, a hand landed on the bag I already held. "Keep this back inside. Let's go for a walk."

What's...

Go... Go back to sleep.

Killian met my irritated eyes. He sighed as he leaned in. "Keep your belongings back. You're not leaving unless it with me." Bastard.

What...

"Sleep." I grumbled out loud as I twisted on the foot I'd pushed behind to head back in.

The bag bounced on my back as I walked back upstairs. The door to my now-empty room was kicked open, only for it stutter to a halt halfway as usual. I hated this room. The bag bounced on the bed I'd made before I turned back around.

Killian was still on the bridge. He chatted easily with the sentries. Their postures were relaxed. Last time we'd been here, they'd glared at him with disdain as I marched him in, bound. And now, respect for the new man in front of them. Kept beard, broader, straighter posture, and no bags under his eyes.

He no longer reeked of alcohol as I came to a stop beside him. Killian barely glanced at me as he continued to talk to the other two. "... I said, 'He's been trained way before he even showed up. There's no way to take my man here down without losing atleast an eye or an ear.'." He burst into laughter as he slapped my unburdened back. "That's why, you should bet on him." Betting, of course.

"But, Master Killian..." The one on the left gestured to me, unamused. "Two thin blades against a longsword?"

"It's not the steel!" Killian snapped, clearly a bit irritated. "It's the wielder! He's fought other longsword wielders. In fact, he grew up with it first! He knows how they fight!"

The right one shrugged. "Knowing isn't all, Master Killian."

I sighed loudly, to make a point. Killian glanced at me before he dropped his hand. "Fine. I get the money anyway." He scoffed as he started to move. "Follow." He barked at me.