18.

The three days we had left together flew by too fast.

Two days were spent in the town. We stayed at an inn with the others to get errands without wasting time travelling back and forth. On my suggestion, we moved back to the forest for our last night there.

I wanted us to all be together for our last dinner. Just us. No people around us, no constant interruptions by an innmaid for food or drink. Just us. In the middle of a small grove of trees, laughing and drinking as we pretended we didn't have to leave the next day.

Kieran was quiet throughout that night. He didn't say much unless prompted. I'd spent my three days accepting it, he'd spent his entire time with me. He'd follow wherever I went despite how sulky he was. It was cute... and a bit sad.

As we laughed, joked and drank loudly through the night to hide the pain of departure— Kieran just sat behind me. His arms and legs around me as usual, nose buried in my open hair. He would only look up or respond if someone called his name. I tried my best to cheer him up and get him to join, but he'd just stare at me with his brown eyes. They were filled with pain. A lot more pain than when we'd found out we'd be heading out at the same time over an year ago.

It hurt to look at him. It hurt me too. I just didn't want to show it. My hand stayed on his as I occasionally reached behind to run a hand through his hair. He'd hum into my skin. I'd miss that.

I'd miss his strong arms around me. His scent. The soft hums, the smiles, the laughs... the small scar by his chin that had grown to be my favourite feature.

My hand rose to run through his hair as I thought that. Everyone was drunk. Pippa and Hanna had already passed out on Pyr in the middle who, incredibly enough, supported both of them. Articia leaned against Urun, both on the verge of sleep as Noll and Piglet continued to crack jokes and challenge each other. I took a swig from my third bottle of ale and held it out to the side. Kieran took it a moment later and turned his head up for a long swig. I watched him from the corner of my eye as I memorized him. The line of this jaw, the muscle that stood out in his neck at this angle, his soft lips pressed right where mine had been.

He emptied it. A few drops of ale dripped past his chin.

My hand landed on the side of his face as my thumb wiped the sticky liquid away. He leaned into my touch and pushed till his forehead was pressed against mine. "Another?" I asked softly.

He shook his head. "I'm full."

"Hmm..." I agreed. A sigh left me as I turned my head to face the fire again, he stayed pressed to the side of my face. "You should sleep. I'll take night watch."

"You're travelling tomorrow. You should." He didn't hesitate to reply.

I didn't reply. I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight, figured I'd put that to use. However, I also wasn't in the mood to fight Kieran. It's best to just keep him company through the night.

Can I manifest in the next place we camp?

I'd been ignoring Sosthenes for the past few days. His celebration at my departure angered me. He deserved the stress.

I'll force it now if you don't agree.

I'll hold you over the fire till you blacken.

You'll get more hurt than I would.

I'll deal with it.

He grumbled a little as usual. He deserved it. He knew he deserved it, and I knew he knew he deserved it.

Pyr sighed. She raised her bottle as the two girls slept on her lap. "Here's to... hours of ass-numbing travel..." She met my eyes and narrowed hers. "Open another."