31.

With Alasha out, the aggression was quelled. All the teachers slowly walked out as well, Killian placed a hand on my shoulder as he stood behind me. I was at the end of the line, beside Musso, and purposely out of his arm's reach.

Alasha talked with the ones who'd set the fights, a group of teachers separated from the line. I took the chance to look around.

It took a minute, but I spotted Pippa. Her golden hair reflected the morning sunlight as she waved frantically at me. My brows rose as I spotted the multiple bet slips in her hand.

"Is it too late to ask her to get another one in for me?" Killian whispered to me.

I chuckled. "Ask Hanna."

"He said he's staying in the tent for the fights." He?

My eyes slid to the side- Musso. My whispers were being heard because of the mask I wore. I nodded. "Good for them." Was my curt reply.

I met Pippa's eyes and nodded once to her. Her waving arm fell to her chest— three taps with her thumb right above her heart. One for each Fate. The thumb being turned to the ground instead of the sky meant bad Fate upon you. These three being in my life had already turned my Fates around. The fact that I stood here...

My thoughts trailed off as Alasha turned to the villagers. He cleared his throat, a simple gesture that made silence prevail.

"WELCOME!" He boomed, I turned my head away to avoid an ear bleed. "Lovely day to watch a duel, isn't it?!" Some cheers, some hoots. "Shall we begin then?! I'm sure you've all waited enough!"

His last words weren't audible as they were drowned out by a surge of cheers from crowd. Surprise crossed through me at their excitement. I hadn't expected this.

"We rarely have these duels." Killian leaned in to whisper. My head turned to the side to listen. "There's usually only one or two Apprentices here. We need atleast five or six to have these."

"And there's eight of us." I replied softly. A frown formed on my face. "That's a lot of duels."

"You have only two till the finals." He patted my shoulder twice. "You'll win."

He has more confidence in me than I did. I sighed softly. "We'll see."

"You'll win." I glanced behind me. There was an easy smile on his face that slowly faded away as he straightened. My eyes moved forward again to meet Pippa's amidst the men and women. She smiled at me again.

They're my prize. I'll win for them.

"Alekto and Kashim, get your weapons and return."

My eyes widened and my head snapped to Alasha. He glanced at me over his shoulder. I was the first fight?

"Ah, well." Killian's hand tightened on my shoulder and he turned me away. "You get five minutes to warm up and stretch. New swords were made for you."

"Wh—I—" I couldn't get a word out as he pushed me back towards my tent. Hanna and Pyr walked backwards to stay out of sight. It was only when I was past the tent flaps did I turn towards him. "Why me?!" I snapped finally as I got to meet his eyes.

Killian sighed. He ran a hand through his messed up grey hair. "I'll explain. Begin stretching." My body moved on it's own at the command. I fell into side squats, one leg stretched out as I moved from side-to-side. "Teachers are kept out when building the order. But... the others don't particularly like you either. Or me. They want to see you destroyed in the first round."

"Why Kashim?" I asked as I switched to arm stretches. Blood pumped through my body, I started to feel warm.

"Here." Hanna moved in to hand me a new set of swords. They didn't have a scabbard. Freshly forged metal, un-nicked, scratched, or cracked. The tip rounded and covered in thick leather the sides dulled. This was essentially a batter rod.