23.

There was a knock on my door shortly after it turned dark. I stared blankly at it from the floor. Another knock came.

"Alekto. Dinner." It's Killian.

My sweaty body rose from the floor. I exhaled harshly as I pulled a shirt on and covered myself with the cloak. It was suffocating as I caught my breath. Killian knocked relentlessly the entire time.

He looked me over as I pulled the jerky door open. A grimace formed on his face. "Warmed up... for dinner?"

I shrugged as I exhaled shakily. "Getting back into shape. I've been... slacking."

He raised an eyebrow. "If you say so." His grey eyes turned away as his body moved. "Let's get some food in you."

"I ate. I'll meet you at the practice hall." I started to turn away too.

"Come. Eat." He gave me an annoyed look over his shoulder that stopped me. "Lunch isn't enough. You need something in that scrawny body of yours."

"Scrawny?" I pressed a hand to my stomach. It was soft. "Not really."

"Girls." He rolled his eyes. "You're eating. Come."

I hesitated to leave my room. He waited as I grabbed the key before I stepped outside. The heavy, rusted lock clicked shut but Killian was already halfway down the hall.

I rolled my shoulders as I caught up to him. Pins I'd picked up before I left went in my hair to secure the hood over my face. "I look okay?"

"Manly." He replied without even a glance at me.

I didn't bother to call him out as I fixed the hood. It settled over my eyes. I kept my head straight as I walked forward with my shoulders squared. "Should I do something when I get there?"

"No. And talk softer." He rolled his neck, it clicked. "Don't talk there. Just listen to me." I nodded.

Killian led me back downstairs. I memorised the turns of this maze of a castle as best as I could with my vision obscured. There were still people around. The men who trained here whispered when they saw me, and greeted Killian as they crossed us. I could hear the whispers continue all the way to the entrance. The hall was under the stairs. A massive door with one side pushed open. My head lowered once more as some older men walked past us.

"Oy, Killian!" I stiffened as one of them called out from behind me. Killian turned to them as I stayed where I was, back turned and eyes on the ground. "Is that the Apprentice we've been hearing about all day?"

"He is." Killian was curt.

"Shy one, is he?" Another snickered. I could hear the drink in his voice. "Turn around, boy. Let me see your face."

I didn't move. "Stop ordering him around, Jastor. He's not yours."

"Nothing wrong in checking the lad's looks now, eh?" The two laughed. "From what I can see— his balls don't even seem to have dropped!"

The laughter got louder. Killian sighed. "Shut up. You know Alasha's orders regarding him."

"Doesn't mean I can't get a look." I heard footsteps.

My heart started to pound in my ears as my head slowly turned sideways. This wa—

"Don't touch him, you horny old bastard." Killian walked around to stand behind me. "No looking, no touching, no talking. That's Alasha's orders. And that's how it will stay."

"Ah, come on." The other man spoke. "Just a peek under the hood won't hurt."

"My Apprentice has a habit of chopping off any fingers that touch him, Master be damned." Killian warned. He seemed annoyed. "If you value that big nose of yours, you'll stay away."