13.

It took us three days to get back to the port town. It rained the entire day we were under that set of trees. Another day to get to a decent village with an inn where I could wash the dragon breath from out of my hair. And then another entire day to get halfway there.

I'd gotten used to the stares after a day. And they didn't bother Kieran at all. Even with my collar raised and all loops done, the results of the intense nights I'd spent with Kieran were visible. It was embarrassing at  the first inn. By the next inn— I'd given up.

Kieran complained as we walked up the road to the port town. "Let's just go wait at clearing."

"I want to see where Urun is staying." He stiffened as I mentioned his name.

"I don't see why you need to meet him again." He grumbled as I ignored the hoots from the merchant caravan that we passed by.

I turned to look at him. He purposely avoided my eyes as he glared forward. "Come on. The man works alone. All I did was promise him the recipe of that powder." I slowed down to poke his shoulder. "You like him too."

"He's a nice guy." Kieran admitted. "But I'd still rather he not be around you."

I rolled my eyes as I moved back into the line. The stablemaster recognised me as I led Ahrea in. I was given special treatment, probably for the silver I'd flicked him. Hanna had given me an earful for that because she'd also given him silver for all their horses and information on me. Thief.

Kieran kept his hand linked with mine as we walked to the town hall. He followed me as I tugged him over to the message board by the entrance. It took some searching, but I found a torn parchment with his name under it.

I tore it off the board. Kieran complained some more as he dragged himself over to where the inn was. It was a bit of a rundown place. Clearly saw a lot of people in one day. We both took a seat and ordered some food. Then we loitered around with mugs of ale.

As the sun set and the tavern started to fill with tired adventurers, we vaguely wonder if we should just leave. It would be dark already, a bit of a rough journey to make even if it was short.

"He's here." Kieran spoke up, chin in his palm and bored out of his mind.

I raised my head from the table and turned to where his eyes were. The hair was tied back, but the form was familiar. "Urun!" I called out.

The man at the counter hesitated before he turned to meet our eyes. Surprise formed on his face. He exchanged a few words with the innkeeper before he walked over. Kieran grumbled as I separated from him.

Urun gave me a genuine smile as he leaned in for a hug. My eyes went to his split lip. My shoulder bumped into his chest in an awkward side hug before I backed up.

"I didn't expect to see you guys so soon." He clasped arms with a still seated Kieran before he sat down across us. "Waited long?"

"Yeah." We both nodded as I sat down. "Been here since lunch." Kieran completed.

"What happened?" I tapped my jaw.

Urun sighed. He waved to the innmaid for an ale. "Bumped into Yorja yesterday. He socked me for ditching the group. The bruising and swelling was handled but this stayed." He rubbed the scab. "What about you guys? Successful job?"

"Yeah." Kieran spoke up as I drank my ale. "She picked up a delivery mission. It was way out in the middle of nowhere."

"Oh, yeah. I was wondering." He nodded to the innmaid as a mug was placed in front of him. She gave him a longing look he didn't notice. "Nothing much there on maps."