01

Yeonjun pov:

"Happy Birthday to youuu~" My family all crowded around me, singing the Happy Birthday song for me, the warm glow of the candles on the cake illuminating the room. It was my 16th birthday, one that I had been waiting for forever since I knew what would happen. 

When I was young, maybe around eight or nine, my mother told me that when I turned 16, my soulmate's initials would appear, and fate would bring the two close some way or another. However, if they got into an accident or fell sick and passed away, my wrist would remain blank. Taking a deep breath, I closed my eyes to make a wish and blew out the candles with a light puff.

Everyone watched eagerly as I rolled up my sleeves, staring at my wrist, anticipating for the magic to happen. The letters slowly appeared as I held my breath. Sparkles looped around elegantly as if they were dancing, appearing cursive on my wrist. It ended with a flourish, and I looked closely, my heart palpitating quicker than usual. 

J.S.Y.

That was my soulmate's initials. 

"I wonder who it will be." Soobin, my bestie mused as he looked at my wrist, deep in thought.

"Tomorrow's the start of the week so we'll have plenty of time to find my soulmate. Maybe it would even be one of our classmates." I was curious to find out who it was as I cut the cake, handing out slices to my family.

Later at night, I lay on my bed, trying to figure out the initials. J.S.Y J.S.Y I hope it's not one of those girls who keep pestering me. I guess I was considered popular in school, and I constantly received many letters from girls, asking me to go out with them. I would politely turn them down, not wanting to give them false hope and break their hearts in the end.

Soobin, on the other hand, was lucky to have the girl he liked for the longest time as his soulmate, Park Chaewon. Soobin, Chaewon, and I were friends since kindergarten and pretty much were like siblings. But as time went by, Soobin developed feelings for Chaewon. I still remember him telling me a few years ago. The fond memories of Soobin's embarrassed face when I teased him relentlessly for it still made me chuckle every time I thought about it. Well, I can only hope that my journey in finding my soulmate would be smooth sailing too.

~The next day~

"So...any idea who your soulmate would be?" Soobin asked as he and Chaewon sat down beside me, waiting for an answer. 

"Not yet, maybe today I will find-" 

"Yeonjun! I'm your soulmate!" Jung Sumin squealed as she held out her wrist. 

On her wrist was the initials C.Y.J. 

My breath hitched in my throat for a moment.

"Wait, the C looks written on. Are you sure it's Yeonjun? Looks more like an L to me." Chaewon asked as she raised her eyebrow after examining the initials. 

"I- um- yes, it's Yeonjun. I'm sure it is!" Sumin stuttered as she struggled to meet our eyes. 

"Well, why not I take a wet wipe from my bag and clean it to prove it's real." Chaewon took out a wet tissue and wiped gently on Sumin's wrist. 

Almost instantly, the C disappeared and was indeed an L. "I-" Seeing that she had been exposed, Sumin ran off, with her face red as a tomato, feeling embarrassed. 

"Thanks, Chaewon. I guess she won't be bothering me anytime soon after this. Soobin- ah, your girlfriend is such a good detective, you better not cheat on her or she will find out." I joked as Soobin looked accused.