15

I apologise (again if I've already apologised before. I can't remember) if I put Anthony instead of Antonio. I get names mixed up. If there's an Anthony anywhere in the book, feel free to point it out and I'll fix it asap 😌. Tbh, I almost changed the step dad's name unknowingly hahaha.

"Antonio, you didn't tell me you were bringing friends home."

"Well, I don't tell you many things so ..."

Antonio's step dad shrugged as he joined the table. "Fair enough. Anyways, who are you?"

"That's Samba, hon!" Antonio's mother chimed in, clearly excited to show her baby's friend off. "They were childhood friends. Our families split up. But now they've been reunited. Ain't that sweet, Sean? That just means they were meant to be together."

"I don't know. You make it sound kinda gay, babe." Sean commented, picking up his fork and beginning to eat.

Antonio rolled his eyes and then looked at his mother who gave him an 'ouch,' face. They both shook their heads before Antonio looked over at Samba, who sent a deadly glare to Sean.

Fucking asshole, Samba thought.

"And if it was totally gay?" Antonio challenged, also glaring at Sean.

"I dunno. It's kinda weird. Having a gay son and all ..."

"Well lucky for you I'm not your son. Never have been. Never will be." Antonio stabbed his fork into chicken and then used his knife to begin to cut another piece. "So your opinion doesn't matter to me unless it's productive or positive."

"My opinions are always productive if you choose to heed them, you brat."

"Well then how about you keep them to yourself. I don't heed them anyways. So for you to continue to state them is just a waste."

Antonio's mother sighed and sent an apologetic look to Samba who just met the look with a sad smile. Samba had kinda expected something like this due to how Antonio seemed to talk about Sean. So it wasn't a surprise that they started bickering at the dinner table.

"Hmm ... maybe I will. I have no use talking to a faggot. You're clearly fucked up in the head already. Nothing I say can make it better."

"Sean!" Now mother decided to chime in. "I'll put up with the bickering. But if you dare insult my baby like that, or his friend, then food won't be the only thing getting pushed down that throat of yours." She threatened, glowering at him. "Now I reckon you best apologise to my son or the reprimanding will be the least worst thing you'll be dealing with."

The corner of Sean's mouth lifted a little. Almost a scowl. And he drew in a deep breath before dragging his gaze over to Antonio. "Sorry." The apology was half-hearted. And he was clearly only doing so because he had just been threatened to do so. But whatever.

"Whatever." Antonio picked up his plate, carefully so the last bit of food didn't fall off. "I'm eating upstairs. C'mon, Sam."

The older wasted no time in collecting his cup and leaving the dinner table. Sam on the other hand offered Antonio's mother another sad smile. 'Thank you for the food.' He mouthed before also retreating upstairs, not wanting to be left behind with the couple who would eventually start arguing.

They ate in silence. Well ... the tv was on in the background as they ate. But honestly, the tv didn't really make a difference.

Something about Antonio was different.

Sam knew that the last time they had seen each other, they had been a little younger. Of course Sam had missed the pinnacles that made Antonio the guy he was today. He knew his father was an asshole and that had something to do with it ... But ... something was off.

Antonio hadn't been short tempered and easily aggravated. And he definitely wouldn't've tried to kill somebody. Not ... back then. Something major had to have happened. It was deeper than his dog dying and his mom entering a new relationship.

Honestly, it kinda scared Samba. What if he snapped one day on him? What if what he did to Lucario he tried to do to him one day?

He knew he shouldn't think such daft things. After all, Antonio liked him. He loathed Lucario. And what he had done to the boy had been well ... reasonable.

"I don't want this anymore. My appetite is gone thanks to Sean." Antonio's voice sliced through the silence and Samba looked up from his own half-empty plate to see him setting his still pretty full plate onto the nightstand.

"He could've just stayed at work. Or wherever he was for all I cared. Now he just fucked up my appetite."

Samba frowned and finished up the last of his food. Luckily, his appetite hadn't been tarnished by the argument. He'd feel bad not eating the food Antonio's mother cooked for them.

'I'm sorry that happened.' Samba said after placing his hand on Antonio's shoulder to get his attention.

"It's not your fault, Sammy. He's just an asshole and doesn't know how to keep his trash opinions to himself. Makes me wanna shove his opinions and more down his throat and rip 'em out his ass." He grumbled.

Samba nodded. But couldn't help but to wonder,

Was his precious Antonio as innocent as he thought he was?