2

"How was your day at school?"

His mother greeted him, watching with a decreasing happy expression as Sam pulled his backpack off of his back and slung it to the side while using his free hand to shut and lock the front door

Because her son couldn't speak or vocally make noises, she had her eyes on him whenever they were with each other. She also made sure to keep her ears open too just to make sure nothing sounded out-of-the-normal.

Because of this, she knew him like the back of her eyelids. So when he pulled his backpack off a little bit more aggressively than usual, she knew something was up.

She frowned, immediately approaching her son as he took his shoes off. "What's wrong, my baby?" She asked, pulling him in close after he got his shoes off. Her frown deepened when he hugged her back tightly and began to sniffle.

His first day of school and some bitch-ass person already made his year hell.

Fucking pricks.

She put her arms on his shoulders and pulled him away to get a look. "What's wrong baby?" She enquired softly, her words no louder than his sniffles. "You were so excited to go to school today. Who fucked it up?"

Sam didn't even attempt to reply.

He didn't like lying to his mother. He really didn't. But he couldn't tell her that he was crying because of Luce. Because then she'd try to console him while saying 'I told you so.'

Why would she say that?

Well because a mother's intuition is always correct for the most part. And something told her that this Lucario guy wasn't any good. She tried to tell Sam. She did. But he wouldn't listen. And she couldn't blame him. After all, based on what she had seen from their messages, the two seemed to be

In love.

Part of her wanted to be happy. Someone took her baby boy as he was and didn't try to force him to speak or make fun of him. She could tell that Lucario made him genuinely happy. However, the other part of her didn't like it at all.

When it came to phone calls and video chats, they only happened on Lucario's terms. There was no compromising either. If Lucario wanted to chat with Sam it had to be then or never.

Sam's mother didn't like that one bit.

Alas, she said nothing. Her son was happy.

Except for right now.

"Mamba Samba, please tell me what's wrong?" She smiled sweetly, using the nickname she gave him when he was a child.

Finally the boy made eye contact with his mother.

'I saw Lucario today.' He began. 'Briefly. He told me he wouldn't be able to walk me home because he would be busy. And after school ended, I saw him with some chick and some of his friends.'

Mama Hirai scowled. "What a dirtbag! Are you sure you don't want me to get involved, honey? I won't let some filthy teenager ruin your life."

Samba smiled slightly. 'No Mama. I'm fine. I think it was his cousin. He did say that she did go to the school too. And that he spends a lot of time with her ...'

And apparently he kisses her too?

"Okay." She wasn't buying it. But she wouldn't tell him that. Instead, she brushed his shoulders off and changed the subject ...

Kind of.

"My boy is all grown up. He's not a baby anymore." A sad smile adorned her youthful features. "He has a boyfriend. Next year he's graduating ... I remember when you were just a little baby with pudgy cheeks." She pinched his cheeks. "Now you're a grown man with pudgy cheeks."

Samba blushed and smiled to the best of his ability with the woman pinching his cheeks. "Alright Sammy. Off you go! I'll holler when dinner is ready." She kissed him on the forehead and then watched as he nodded before heading upstairs to his room.

Her little boy was growing up.