Chapter 2

Sigyn paced in front of the stables, her arms folded across her chest and her face set in anger. She ran to check the sundial again and then groaned as she flopped into the grass. There were no approaching footsteps or the sound of bickering and teasing. They weren't coming. She sighed, picked herself up, and went to Loki's room to finish cleaning. The door opened as she finished scrubbing the bathroom. She was wiping her brow with the back of her hand when she bumped into Loki.

He was staring down at a book and dropped it as she stumbled into his side.

"Sorry." She bent and picked it up, looking at the jumbled words and frightening pictures. "What's this?" She asked curiously.

Loki snatched it back. "A book about Jotuns, can't you read?" He pointed to the title.

She shifted and looked away. The silence reminded her that she was angry with him. Her head snapped up and her eyes glared into his curious ones.

"You ditched me!" She accused.

His eyes widened. "I did not!"

"You did! You left me at the stables!"

"Oh that..." He looked back at the book. "Father called us away." She looked at the book curiously but didn't dare ask what it said. "He told us about the Jotuns and about the wars. Do you think... Do you think I could be king, Sigyn?"

She looked up at him, her brows furrowing. "Why would you want to be?"

He shrugged. "Father would listen to me. He would be proud of me if I was worthy of the throne."

"Innit he proud now?"

"No." Loki's reply was quiet, subdued. "He dislikes me." Sigyn watched him, feeling a pang of sympathy for him. But it was gone just as quickly as his sadness passed. He shook himself and looked back at her. "You cannot read."

She blinked, surprised by the change. "A little."

"I will teach you. No servant of mine will be uneducated."

She rolled her eyes. "I'm not dumb."

"I said uneducated not stupid. I can teach you." Sigyn folded her arms, wanting to accept but also not desiring his assistance. He smiled. "You can have access to my library. And I'll bring you any book you like."

It was this that made the decision for her. Her father had been very good at reading. He had loved to read for her when they weren't working. If she could only keep the stories going, perhaps she could keep his memory warm and alive. Smiling broadly, Sigyn met Loki's eyes again. He smiled in return and sat down to focus on his book; the matter was settled.

Every night for months, years even, Sigyn returned to Loki's room to ready the bed and fire. When it was crackling loudly and the bed was soft and ready, they sat on the carpet and read. He would listen to her struggle through passages, correcting her and supplying the words she didn't know.

It built something between them, lifted them from Master and Servant to friends. As Sigyn grew to be well read, their time was better spent in conversation. And maybe one day it would draw them together to be lovers. But for now, as Loki grew into a young man and Sigyn a young woman, as seasons came and went on Asgard with the swiftness of childhood, they were friends. And that was all that mattered.

**

"A petty trick for a petty boy. You've no meat on your bones and can barely wield a sword but you make yourself higher with your lies and your trickery. Oh he's got fight in him!"

Loki growled and lunged again for the boy in front of him. He was tall and bulky and much stronger. The boy put his hand on Loki's head and held him at arm's length, laughing as Loki tried in vain to fight back. He grunted as the boy shoved him onto the ground. The boy's friends snickered.