Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Sigyn stirred the eggs and checked on the bread over the fire. The boys weren't up yet and the sun had just risen. She flipped the bread.

An arm wrapped around her waist, tugging her against a chest and lifting her. She squealed and dropped her fork.

"Okoro!"

He laughed and set her down. "You were so oblivious. I am sorry, I could not resist."

She rolled her eyes and brushed off her dress. "You're insufferable." He grinned and took another fork, stabbing into the eggs. "Hey!"

He stuck it in his mouth and sidestepped as she swiped at him. "I am insufferable," he spoke around his food, "but you love me anyway."

Sigyn huffed. "I hate you."

"You love me!" He sang, going back to his room. He came back with Tendaji slung over his shoulder, giggling uncontrollably.

Sighing with mock exasperation, Sigyn served their breakfast. As she passed Okoro's seat, he tugged her into his side, one arm around her waist.

"I am sorry for scaring you." He murmured.

Sigyn smiled and patted his cheek. "You're forgiven."

"Will you ride with us today?"

"I will if you'll let me go." He released her and she sat down beside him to eat. After breakfast, she had to wait for Reifr to rouse himself. She served him his meal and then went to change.

Okoro had given her quite a few things in the year that he had been with them. She wore two of his loose beaded necklaces and a tight one that wrapped closely around her throat that Tendaji had made for her. She wore a pair of trousers when they went riding. They were cut open at the calves and hung loosely on her legs, looking almost like a skirt when she walked. Okoro rarely wore a shirt as his beads covered most of his torso and his people were not used to much covering. He kept his head shaved and often covered, even in the sun. Tendaji had acquired a similar style of dress, seeking to emulate his brother as so many younger siblings did. It was usually a source of surprised stares when they went out like this but they had grown used to it.

Sigyn waited patiently outside, watching the wind billow in her trousers. Okoro and Tendaji took twenty minutes each morning to worship their gods. It was a source of contention in Asgard as quite a few other races worshipped the Aesir. The Jotuns were barbarians and had no concept of such things as refined worship. Others worshipped their gods but Asgard had little to do with them so it didn't matter.

But those of Muspelheim proudly bore the marks of their worship, colored beads, golden bangles, and a mark of the mountain cut into their upper arm when they reached spiritual maturity.

Okoro had received his before he left his home. He led his brother in their rituals and Sigyn watched by the side. A portion of their breakfast was burned with a measure of water, a luxury in Muspelheim. They prostrated themselves on either side of the fire, thanking the sun for lighting their way, the winds for smoothing over their transgressions as it did their footprints, and the sky for its precious water.

Dust was thrown on the fire and the charred wood was used to make the mark of the mountain on their foreheads, two curved lines sloping towards each other.

She always smiled when they finished. Something about their worship drew them closer to the realm and left a light in their eyes. It was heartwarming to see such faith, something she found lacking in herself and many others.

Okoro had offered to "bring her near to Dayo," the mountain goddess of joy, but she had told him she was content to watch.

They joined her by the horses and their day of travels began with a canter towards a lake not far from the house.