Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Loki stood idly beside Thor while they waited for Odin to arrive. The golden doors swung open slowly and the All-Father entered. Loki and Thor stood straighter and saluted him. They practically vibrated with anticipation.

Today was the day their competition would truly begin. Odin would declare that he would watch the two of them closely for the next year to see which of them was most worthy of the throne. They would join Odin in all his duties, learning the minute details of ruling a realm.

They had awaited this year all their lives, competing in quiet ways for Odin's favor.
Loki had endeavored to become a better man. Sigyn had calmed his temper, taught him to trust, to control himself. It was a daily struggle but in their two years of marriage, Loki found a peace of mind he had never known before. Even Odin had come to respect her.

Loki would rely on her to keep him in check, to help him rise above his vices. Any woman worthy of the crown would do this and Sigyn accomplished it as effortlessly as Frigga did for Odin. He knew he would at least be a worthy opponent, no matter how far ahead of him Thor stood in Odin's favor.

"You both know why I've called you here, I will not bore you with speeches." He waved away the formalities. Thor and Loki nodded and looked at each other with small, boyish smiles. "I have decided upon my successor."

Their smiles fell. They looked at each other again, frowning now as their brows furrowed.
"Decided?" Thor asked.

"But what about the year's review?"

"I don't feel that it is needed." Odin stated. He put a hand on Thor's shoulder. "My son, you are young and sometimes headstrong. But you are well equipped to be king and with some training, I will be proud to hand the crown on to you."

Thor looked at Loki with wide eyes. He knew what this meant. Loki looked away, his hands clenching into fists.

"Then I'll have no chance to prove my worth?" He muttered.

Odin sighed. "You know very well why I cannot allow it. You are married to a commoner. The crown cannot pass through you."

Loki huffed. "We all know that's not the reason." He nodded to Thor, stating the traditional conceding words of the loser. "I wish you luck, brother. May you prove yourself worthy of this privilege and burden." He bowed to them both before turning on his heel and leaving.

The door opened again and Thor called after him. "Loki, wait!"

"You have duties to attend to." Loki waved him away. "Don't let me keep you away."

"Loki." Thor grasped his wrist but Loki wrenched away.

He balled his hands into fists again and clenched his jaw. Pressure burned behind his eyes. He would not cry, he would not cry. "I am fine." He snarled. "We both saw this coming. Is it any surprise you are his favorite?"

"Loki..."

"I never stood a chance. I was a fool to think otherwise. You may as well say it. Leave it, Thor. Enjoy the crown. I never wanted it to begin with." He swung away.

**

Sigyn sat up in bed and looked around, sighing. It was late and Loki had been missing since he met with Odin and Thor. Struggling out of bed, she slipped into a night robe and some walking slippers. The guards posted intermittently through the halls could tell her nothing of Loki's whereabouts. Finally, she went outside and to the stables.

Sleipnir was gone as well. Calling apologetically for someone to saddle her horse, she rode out to the field. The night lit up green as she grew closer and a bang shook the silence. Water spouted into the air before falling. There was a furious roar and then another crash. Her horse startled but kept his course.