Chapter 11

Chapter 11

"Loki?"

His eyes opened slowly, blinking in the afternoon sunlight. Sigyn grinned down at him.

"We can head back if you're tired." She tilted her head as she leaned over him.

He smiled slowly and closed his eyes again. "I like it out here."

Humming in agreement, she relaxed beside him with her head on his chest. "I'd like to have a house right out there." She murmured, pointing towards the nearest rise in the land. Loki lifted his head to study the swaying grasses and lavender sky. "Or by the sea."

"Have you ever been to the sea?"

She shook her head. "But it sounds like a peaceful place to be."

"Hmm..." He laid his head back down. "It is. I'll take you someday."

"Oh would you?" She sat up, her eyes lighting up at the thought. He smiled and nodded. "And to the mountains one day?"

"And to all the nine realms." She gasped and grinned. Loki laughed. "Anywhere you wish to go, I'll take you. Just say the word."

"My lord?"

"Hm?"

"My lord, wake up."

Loki jerked awake, looking up at Jokull. He groaned and closed his eyes. "What?"

"It is past eight, my lord. Lady Hela is awake and asking after you. Your bath is ready."

Sighing, Loki sat up and rolled out of bed. He trudged into the bathroom where the bath was already filled and steaming. Undressing, he slipped into the warm water, listening to Jokull set his breakfast out in the bedroom. Closing his eyes again, Loki rested his head against the side of the bath and thought back to his dream.

He had not dreamed of Sigyn for some time. He had been too preoccupied. The children required constant care, his father required his obedience in everything, his own body required sleep. But even that was robbed of him at times. The nightmares had dwindled but they still lingered. Disdain and disgust colored others' interactions with him, especially if any of the children were nearby. In all the worry, pain, self-hatred, Sigyn did not grace his thoughts often.

The year had passed slowly, torturously, with no other sightings of her. He wondered sometimes if she knew what happened to him a year ago. Had she worried? Had she blamed him for it like Odin? Did she think him as much a monster and freak as others?

Screwing his eyes shut, Loki sank further into the water. He still didn't understand why she hated him so much. He loved her still and feared he always would. But something he had done the night of Thor's birthday banquet had driven her away for good. Perhaps he had gone too far. Perhaps she reconsidered her declaration of love and ran to avoid telling him so. But it didn't explain her anger.

Resolving to win her back, he picked up the soap and finished washing off the night's troubles. He ate quickly and then called Jokull back.

"I want you to do me a favor."

"Of course."

"Go to the house of Reifr, you know the man?" Jokull nodded. "Go and ask for a woman named Sigyn and tell her that I would like to see her. Today, if possible."

Jokull bowed and left. Finished with his food and setting his worry aside for now, Loki hurried to see to Hela. She was only three years old and resided in the nursery, attended by a begrudging nurse. The woman took her break with relief. He sighed and sat beside Hela on the floor, curling his long legs under him. She looked up at him and grinned before handing over her doll. She lifted herself to her feet and wobbled to her chest of toys. Picking up a ball, she brought it to him.