Vulnerable

Warning: smut, maybe language

Charles Vane x OC

Charles Vane's P.O.V.

***

I walk into the tavern and smile when I spot her. It's funny how the woman I hate most and the one I want most work at the same place. I go to the bar, straight to her, and ask for a glass of rum.

"Good morning captain Vane. How are you today?" Vicky asks me with a slight smile.

I smile back, enjoying the sound of her voice.

"Not bad. What about you?"

"Same old, same old," she answers.

"Is miss Guthrie still driving you crazy?" I ask as I can't help the smirk forming on my face.

"As always," she answers as if it was obvious.

I chuckle and she hands me my glass.

"But your pretty face is always here to lift up my spirits," she says with a seductive look.

God. I hate when she does that. I mean, I don't hate it, on the contrary, I just hate how I react. Every time she flirts with me, I lose all my confidence. She's the only woman able to do that to me. I chuckle again, awkwardly this time, and a smile spreads across her face. She knows what she's doing to me.

"Charles!" a voice calls out and I can't help rolling my eyes.

"Good luck," Vicky whispers to me as I give her the money for the drink.

"Miss Guthrie," I say as I turn around to see Eleanor walking to me.

"We need to talk."

***

I exit Eleanor's office, pissed off. I wanted to storm out of the tavern, but I knew the only thing able to calm me down right now is Vicky's voice and smile. I sit on the stool at the bar.

"I see I'm not the only one she drives crazy," she says as she hands me a glass of rum. "This one is on the house," she whispers with a wink.

I look away as I feel my cheeks starting to burn. God, I'm like a young lad when she's around.

"What happened?" she genuinely asks.

I sigh and take a sip.

"I think she just likes to drive people mad," I simply answer and she nods.

Vicky places her hands on the counter and leans forward, exposing her cleavage right under my nose. I take a deep breath as I feel my jaw clench.

"Maybe I could make you forget about that," she whispers.

I look straight into her mesmerising honey eyes, unable to answer, unable to move. An irresistible smile spreads across her face and I wish we could have been the only two people in the room right now.

"What do you say, captain Vane?" she asks.

I swallow hard but manage to answer. "I think you can just call me Charles."

Her smile turns into a naughty grin as her eyes travel down my body. My breath gets caught in my chest and I mentally punch myself for being so vulnerable around her.

"I'll see you in your tent, then?" she asks again, looking back into my eyes, and I just feel myself nod. "When my shift is over," she whispers.

With that said, she goes to another customer and I stand up to leave the tavern.