Chapter 15: Feel My Heartbeat

You inched closer to the ledge - your heart now beating so hard that it could burst.

But you had Hawks here - and the soft squeeze of his hand in yours assured you of his being there.

You weren't exactly scared of flying yourself. It was just as you said... you had little experience in the matter.

And so... you let go of Hawks' palm.

If you were going to get used to this... you at least didn't want to look like a weak little girl who needed her hand held along the way.

Yeah, yeah - you hated to show weakness. But this was necessary.

And without another thought - you kicked off the concrete below you; ascending into the sky.

Your wings caught the wind - molding with the air around you - as you gracefully glided into the vast atmosphere.

And with one strong pump of your wings - you shot even higher.

The ear to ear smile on your face followed a laugh of pure joy as you reached your arms out - fingers extended - and basked in the wind draping over your sensitive body.

You then looked over to see Hawks flying on his back just beside you. His arms crossed behind his head - as he smiled just as big as you were.

How the fuck was he doing that?

You definitely had a lot to learn.

He then darted towards you - now flying normally as he leaned in towards your ear - raising his tone over the white noise of the wind. "Follow me, Sweet Stuff!"

"Please don't go too fast!" You cried back. "You might kill me."

Hawks chuckled as he twirled to fly in front of you.

How. Does. He do that?!

He darted around as if the sky were a jungle gym. Show off.

He then took off his visors and gently placed them upon your eyes. The relief was almost instant from the unforgiving gusts of wind.

"Care to say that under different circumstances?" Hawks winked.

You rolled your eyes - but the pink flush still crept up to your cheeks.

You'll blame it on the wind.

But from the cocky smirk Hawks was giving you; you knew that he knew otherwise.

Damn him.

The Pro Hero then flipped forward to lead the way - making sure to glide at a steady speed for you.

********************

You soon arrived at your place - as you both landed on your balcony.

Your landing - not as graceful as you intended. But Hawks was there to catch and steady you so that you didn't have to tuck and roll this time. He made a mental note to help you practice on your landings.

"Sooooo... you wanted to show me...?" You clucked your tongue as you gestured to your own house as you handed Hawks the visors back.

Hawks pulled out his phone. "Ah, right on time." He smiled. "Seriously... perfect timing. I didn't think this would pan out with how slow you flew."

You shot out your forearm and whacked him in the lower stomach.

Hawks slightly jerked forward as a low grunt escaped him, followed by a chuckle of amusement.

"Abuse." He laughed.

"You'll get more than that if you keep that up."

"Is that a promise?"