Chapter 19: What He Really Meant

You did your business in the wash room; Mirko only asking simple questions about you - such as your likes and dislikes. It was almost as if she were just trying to get to know you.

She was easy to talk to as well. And you came to the conclusion that Mirko was someone that you could get along with.

You soon found yourself with a glass of champagne in hand; mingling in a circle with Mirko and a few other women whom you didn't recognize.

You had seen Hawks just across the way talking to Endeavor and a few other Pros - him mouthing in your direction once more, 'Are you okay?'

You couldn't help but to smile. He was truly a gentlemen when he wanted to be. Always keeping an eye on you.

Yes, at times he was a tease and a jokester, but he would truly make sure that you weren't uncomfortable in any situation.

You were in the midst of conversation when an all too familiar set of music notes began to play.

You cocked your head to the side; quickly recognizing the song as one of your favorites.

The slow melody was comfort to your ears - as you were hearing something familiar from your world.

That was odd... were your worlds connected in a way? That was impossible, right?

But before you could fall into deep thought about that, you found your shoulders slowly rocking back and forth to the music.

"Ahem." A smooth voice cleared their throat. "May I have this dance?"

Hawks stood behind you; obviously noticing your like for the song and took this opportunity.

His hand was held out for you to reach for. Another threshold that he wanted you to cross on your own.

You respected that - one of his many qualities that you were beginning to fall for. He knew when to grab, and when to wait.

Mirko took the crystal glass from your hand - a smile that was probably bigger than yours stretched across the Rabbit Hero's face.

You nodded thanks in her direction, and graciously took hold of Hawks' hand - as he gripped yours softly, but firmly.

He began to lead you to the dance floor as your stomach began to fill with butterflies once again.

When the hell will your nerves calm down around this man?!

He then swung you around to face him; placing a hand firmly on your lower back - and his other supporting your palm under his.

Your bodies molded against one another - and the warmth of his abdomen sent goosebumps down your forearms.

Those crimson wings of his hung low - and slightly curled around your frame as you both harmonized your steps to the slow and steady beat of the music.

Your free hand found security gripping his bicep - the soft fabric of his blazer gave you that much more traction.

Hawks grinned. "Breathe."

You exhaled sharply, not even knowing that you were holding your breath. "Didn't know that I needed help breathing." You mused.

Hawks faintly chuckled - and you couldn't help the twinkle in your eyes when he did.

"You need to stop being so nervous around me, Kid. Makes me anxious."

You didn't say anything - only furrowing your brows. A silent frustration that even Hawks could read.

"How was your day?" He asked; trying to ease your tension.

"Eh, the hospital was... eventful." You subconsciously cringed, remembering the pain you had endured for young Thomas. But completely worth it in your eyes.