16. JULIET AND THE CONFUSING FEELINGS

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕷𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖑𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖉
* * *

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕷𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖑𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖉* * *

Summer 1975

Remus leant in more. Juliet didn't try to stop him. And right before their lips could touch, there was a knock on the door.

"I'm coming in, you two better not be snogging." They heard James' voice, causing them to jerk away from each other.

Juliet's twin entered the room and looked between the two red-faced teenagers. His usual stupid-looking expression turned into a bewildered grin.

"Merlin's beard! You two were actually snogging!?"

"No!" Juliet exclaimed.

"Thanks to your very wanted presence." Remus groaned.

At those words, the girl turned even redder. The room was suddenly very hot and it was almost making it hard to breathe.

"I'll just take this." He took a parchment and a quill from the desk his sister was sitting on. "And leave you to it." He winked and left, closing the door behind him.

Remus and Juliet stayed quiet for a moment. The girl staring at her dangling feet, the boy hiding his face into his hands.

When the silence was becoming too much to handle, he took his hands away, now staring at her.

"I'm sorry, I don't know what took over me." He sighed.

She looked up from her feet and gave him a gentle smile. "It's okay."

"No, it's not, I shouldn't have- We're just friends- It's not correct to just- And I'm your brother's best friend too-" He stumbled over his words.

Juliet felt her stomach drop at his words. Friends. Brother's best friend. Was that all they were? Because the relationship she had with him was nowhere close the one she had with Amos and Regulus.

She couldn't exactly decipher what she felt, for she had never felt that way before. She didn't know what it was and didn't know how to ask anybody about it either. What she knew was that, it felt right, being near Remus, and it hurt to see him hurt, or to realise that she was just a friend to him.

A friend he was physically attracted to. That was it, wasn't it?

"I said it's fine, Remus." She cut his rambling off.

He seemed shocked by her tone, but nodded anyway.

"Next time, just, control yourself." She stated, jumping off the desk, walking to the door.

"Wait!" She paused. "We're.. Still cool, right?" He asked hesitantly.

"Of course." The brunette replied with a forced smile. "That was an accident, it happens, it's a good thing it's not awkward." She stated before leaving.

The next few days have been extremely awkward. It was some sort of silent agreement between the Lupin and the Potter. They didn't speak a word to each other but they weren't exactly cold towards each other either. James caught Remus searching for Juliet's eyes a few times, but she wouldn't look back. He wondered what happened after he left the room.

And he decided he was going to find out. But he needed help. So he wrote to Lily, and for the first time, it didn't contain a long declaration of his love for her. It was fully about his concern about his best friend and sister. One looked like a lost puppy, the other like an abandoned kitten. And he was not planning on keeping it that way.

"Writing to Lily?" He was surprised by his sister's voice.

He was in fact, writing to the redhead, sitting on a kitchen stool. Peter was across from him, working on some homework with Remus helping him out.

"Yeah. Just the usual. Cheesy things. Roses are red, violets are blue, red is the prettiest color on you. Those kinda things." He replied quickly, hiding the letter.

The brunette squinted her eyes at him, a disgusted grimace on her face. "Godric, I didn't ask for details." The boys in front of the twins snickered.

"Why don't you use a pen?" Remus asked James.

"What's a pen?" The three purebloods asked him.

He looked between the three with a surprised frown. "Um.. Like a quill but you don't have to dip it in the ink every time. Actually, you don't have to dip it anywhere at all."

They gasped. "That's amazing!" Peter exclaimed.

"I want a pen!" Juliet said.

"Did you come up with it?" James questioned excitedly.

"What?! N-" He thought for a second, and with a smirk, he stated, "yes. Yes I did."

He saw his mother chuckle from the living room and signalled to her to not say anything with a smile, and she nodded.

"Alright kids, let's not just stay home all day. Let's go to the zoo! What do you think?" Hope walked up to them.

"The zoo? Will there be dragons there?" James asked.

"And Nifflers?!" Peter stood up, his excitement overtaking him.

"And Fire Crabs!?" Juliet squealed.

Hope watched the three, confusion all over her face. "Fire-- Uh, no. It's.. It's a.. Non-magical zoo?" She said softly, expecting the children to be disappointed but to her surprise, they squealed even louder, running upstairs to get ready.

"... They don't know anything about non-magical animals, do they?" She sighed when she saw the wide grin on her son's face.

"Oh, this is going to be fun."

* * *

hope is done with those kids
Wynona Rider as Hope Lupin <3

I was inspired by a tiktok I saw