70. WHERE IS JULIET POTTER?

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕷𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖑𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖉
* * *

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕷𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖑𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖉* * *

July 1977

When Remus woke up that morning, something didn't feel right. He kept pushing the feeling away, telling himself that he was worried about his best friend and girlfriend, that there was nothing to worry about.

So, he went downstairs, greeting everyone before settling down at the table. The twins were not present, yet again.

Lily, who had arrived two days prior upon hearing the news, was staring at the staircase.

"I don't think they will join us, dear." Hope put a hand on the redhead's shoulder, giving her a sad smile.

Peter sighed, and Remus knew he was thinking that if James was down there with them he would have made a deer joke.

"Should we bring them food then?" Lily asked.

"What a wonderful idea!" The werewolf's mother went and grabbed two trays in which she put two plates filled with food.

"I doubt they will eat that much." Sirius said, "so how about I-"

Hope slapped Sirius' hand that was reaching for the toasts on the trays. She glared and scolded him as the rest of the table smiled slightly at the scene.

Of course Sirius would be able to cheer everyone up. Even Lily who had been in an awful mood as of lately. She had to leave her family in order to protect them, she had been staying with Marlene but the previous night, Juliet had unexpectedly told her to stay with them. That she will be needed.

The redhead went and grabbed a tray, Hope handing her son the other, and the two friends made their way up the stairs, as Remus shouted at Sirius not to get anywhere near his plate.

The scarred boy let the girl walk up to his best friend's room, knocking softly before entering, as he himself made his way to Juliet's room.

He knocked but she did not answer. So he thought her to be asleep, and peeked inside the room, but was surprised to find it empty, her windows wide open and curtains flowing in the air due to the wind.

Frowning, he walked in, thinking that maybe, she had gone to the bathroom, and he went and settled the tray on her table. But then his eyes fell on something.

Three envelopes were left on it, all of them stuck under a vase of purple hyacinths, as to keep them in place. One was for James, one for Lily, and another for himself.

His heart dropped when he recalled what Juliet told him the purple hyacinth represented.

Sorrow and regret.

Picturing the worst already, he reached for the one that had his name gracefully written on it. Oh, he knew that handwriting everyone and never before had his name looked this pretty.

Yet the bad feeling in his guts caused his trembling hands to hurriedly open the envelope, his eyes frantically looking over the words.

Then his heart dropped. His legs gave up on him, and he fell on the bed behind him, rereading the letter more carefully this time.

"Dear My Beloved,

Do you recall what I've told you about purple hyacinths? A beautiful flower that had a sad symbolism behind it. Sorrow because the mere idea of leaving you behind is causing me such distress, and regret because I wish I had said goodbye.

But, if I had, would you let me go?

Please do not panic, I am fine. I will be fine. I needed to leave because I have found my purpose now. I know what I have to do, and I know how to protect you. So, don't come after me.

I know you worry. You always do, it's sweet. I assure you I haven't lost my mind. The grief did not get to me, I've learned from it. I'm not losing anyone else. And I can no longer run and hide from everything.

I will fight. For you, for James, and for those who have lost their lives fighting.

I hope you'll understand. You always understood. That's one of the reasons I love you.

Though I cannot help but love you a bit more everyday, it is selfish for me to ask this of you. Yet, will you wait for me once more? Will you talk about me like I haven't left just yet?

I'll see you when the road decides it's time for our paths to cross again.

I will come back to you. I will always come back to you. You've become my home, yet you are the one to reside in my heart.

Forgive me.

Your Lover."

Everything was a blur. Remus could barely hear Lily when she asked him where was Juliet. He couldn't hear her scream when she read her own letter. He couldn't hear the rest of the guests rushing everyone inside the house, looking for a specific brunette.

Realization hit them all at the same time when the absence in the house was suddenly evident.

Juliet was nowhere to be found. She was gone.

𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓔𝓷𝓭.

* * *

... of book 1