Chapter 1

Song: Heart Don't Stand a Chance by Anderson.Paak

Important Note: Hey guys! Welcome to the first chapter of a Million Mile$! Thank you so much for your patience and support.

Enjoy! 😊💕

—-

Damon
A few days before the start of the fall semester

The alarm blared, causing my eyes to peel open. I sat up on my bed tiredly, shutting off my alarm. It was 6:30 AM, and I was in my old room in Dallas.

I got off the bed as baby Damon began to twist and turn. It took him no time to wake up since the alarm. I got down on my knees next to him and prayed to God for a good day today.

"Good morning, son," I smiled, looking at him from my squinting eyes.

"Daddy!" he beamed.

Man, I loved this kid.

I picked up baby Damon, and we went out into the living room, where my ma was making tea.

"Church, Damon. Get ready for church," was the first thing she said to me.

"Oh, man, I forgot that," was my excuse. I was just tired as heck and wanted to get a pass to stay at home.

"Get ready, hijo," ma said sternly. "Baby needs to be in church for his blessing."

My mom kissed baby Damon; then she hurried to her room to get dressed. I sighed.

"I guess we gotta get ready for church this morning Damon."

He was clapping his hands already, and I laughed. I was surprised he wasn't more tired this morning.

---

"En el nombre del padre el hijo y el espíritu santo," Priest Christos said.

I made the sign of the cross, then made the sign of the cross on baby Damon. Abuela was standing to my right, and mom was on my left. The choir began singing hymns, and I tried to join in by reading from Abuela's hymn book.

Marco and his family then came in.

"Sorry, we're late. Stinky had an accident this morning," my brother said to ma.

Ma gave a hug to him and his wife, Sophie. I gave a fist pump to Stinky, whose real name was Emmanuel, then dapped my brother and hugged Sophie. She carried the new baby, Amelia, in her hands. They said hello to baby Damon and played with his chubby cheeks.

"Baby D, you look, suave man," Marco told him, smiling. "You too, D."

"Thanks, man, you know how we do."

"Shh," Abuela hushed us. "Canta los himnos."

I smiled as we began to sing together again. Damon was wearing a cute vest suit that his moms picked out for him, and my mom braided his hair in two braids going backward. I had on some slacks and a navy blue button-down shirt with a headband around my head and my diamond earrings in.

During mass, I turned back to see if I saw anyone I knew from school. When I turned back, I saw a familiar-looking girl staring at me. She bit her lips, winking at me. In church, though? It took no time till I remembered it was Maria from Sunday school and middle school. We were involved at one point when I was in High School, but it didn't last too long.