Chapter 7

Damon
Enjoy! 💕
Song: Beauty & Essex by Free Nationals, Daniel Caesar

I parked at the front of Nell's apartment and shot her a quick text message. She texted me saying that she'd meet me in my car cause she wanted to keep things lowkey and away from her friends for now.

I laid back on the driver's seat thinking about my son. He had a high fever today and Wanda and I were worried as hell about him. Baby Damon was sleeping now with his moms so I thought that I could stop by Nell's place on my way back home.

Getting lost in thought, I let the music circle around my mind. I had some hip hop playing in the background. A knock then came from the car window.

When I looked up, Nell was standing there in a gray hoodie and some sweatpants. I unlocked the door for her and she got in.

"Hey, Nell," I said reaching over to hug her lightly. "I don't want to hug you too much since my son is sick right now. Ion want to give you nothing."

She smelled like vanilla, which y'all know is my favorite scent on a woman.

"Hey, D and it's cool. My immune system is strong," she said smiling. "Everything okay with baby D still?"

"Yeah, he's cool. He's just resting with his moms," I told her. "He scared us today, but the nurse said he's gonna be fine. He just picked up a little cold or something."

"Good to hear that. I got worried too," she said.

"Thanks for checking in."

"Anytime."

We both laid back on the seats. Nell had her legs up under her.

"So how was your org meeting with Wallis?" I asked.

I wasn't sure if to bring the nigga up right now since I was hanging out with Nell. Nevertheless, I was asking cause she was my girl and I wanted to know how her project was going.

"It was good," she said. "We decided to make it a health professions org for black students on campus."

"That's great," I said. "Black prehealth are gonna love it I'm sure."

"Mhm, and we're also going to try to sync with black health professionals around Houston and see if we can get them to come speak to the org on some days."

Her eyes sparkled as she spoke about it and I can hear the excitement in her voice.

"Wow, that's dope Nell. I'm really proud of you," I told her. "I can't wait to see what you got in store."

It made me happy to see Nell so passionate about the org. I was starting to think that maybe I should back off on Wallis. So what if he wanted her? I was confident in myself and what Nell and I had to let some dude come spoil that for us.

I think.

Whatever it was, I just had to ignore it from now on.

"Can we change the station to 102.1? The R&B station?" she asked.

"Yeah, that's cool with me Nelly."

"Nelly, huh? You've been calling me that a lot lately," she giggled.