Konoha Retrieval Pt.3

The stilled water between the two Shinobi betrayed the tension in the air as the Shinobi stared the other down, waiting for the next move. A slight breeze fluttered the grass beneath them and caused small ripples to cascade down the river.

Suddenly, Jirobo moved but hadn't even caused Shino tense as he only licked his lips as if looking at his next move. "You have good chakra. It'll be good to see how great it'll taste."

The words should've put a least a small bit of fear or, at the very least, apprehension inside the young Genin but he wasn't even thinking about his emotions. He was thinking about the implications of the words, wondering if this 'eating' had anything to do with chakra. Wordlessly, he released some of his Kikaichū, watching as they crawled down his arm to end of his fingers.

Grinning, Jirobo leaped into the air before smashing down into the ground. A dust cloud rose up high into the air and a crater larger than his entire body. However, he hadn't been able to actually hit Shino as the bug-user had leaped away, noting he wasn't fast even though Shino had already assumed that because of his body size. Of course, he had to be 100% sure before he could move onto the next phase of his plan.

Shino skidded to a halt and a sizable number of Kikaichū flew from his sleeves, making a beeline at the Sound Ninja. Jirobo only smirked, remaining stilled in confidence. "You think a couple of bugs can hurt me?" Shino's insects chose that time to swarm him, beginning to suck out the chakra and restrain him.

"I implore you not to underestimate me; why because that could prove to be your undoing as it is now." Shino said, motioning more of his insects into the swarm. Things were moving smoothly as he could feel his opponent losing chakra and strength and felt confident that this was the end until purple chakra began to ooze out of the swarm. All of a sudden, his insects were disintegrated as the chakra exploded. Shino felt himself getting angry but said nothing as he watched a smirking Jirobo bulldoze forward holding out his shoulder. Shino could only widen his eyes. He wouldn't be fast enough to dodge the attack.

'Thrusting Shoulder!'

'Rotation!'

Neji had leaped from his hiding spot when he knew that Shino would not be able to dodge the attack and would more than likely be really hurt from it. As soon as his feet hit the ground, he spun and released his chakra through every part of his body, using one of the Hyūga's most sacred techniques. With it, he was able to stop Jirobo in place and send him flying back into the small bank where the water rose high from the impact.

A crater formed and the water that hadn't gone into the air began to pour inside of it while the water in the air slammed back into the earth. Neji spun to a halt, his technique ending as he looked on at the crater.

"Thank you for the save." Shino said, walking up beside him.

Neji nodded, keeping his eyes on the water and dust filled crater before them. He was sure that it would not be the end of the Ninja. He proved himself correct when the crater exploded in dark purple chakra and out came Jirobo who had leapt onto the moving water. Neji activated his Byakugan and both he and Shino got into their stances as they looked upon the first form of the Curse Mark.

Neji couldn't help but think back to the Forest of Death when he seen Sasuke covered by similar markings. He could only wonder what would come next.

XxX

"Bark, Bark!" Akamaru barked aloud, startling the rescue team.

Kiba picked up his dog. "What's wrong Akamaru?" Before the dog could bark a response, Kiba smelt something was wrong. He sniffed the air as the other looked on before snapping his head in one direction. "Neji and Shino are fighting someone strong. He's got the same type of chakra that Sasuke had in the forest of death."