Sweet dreams

-Kehlani

-Kehlani

I go to my bar and pour a glass of scotch. My nerves are just a tiny bit shot. I'm a only child, that being said I never had to deal with teenagers. It's not her fault that she's been through so much. I just see that she's going to try my patience.

Her mom is a wild one, so I can only imagine the fire that she's holding inside. I log onto my computer and check some work related emails. I get lost in my work, finalizing sales, inventory and etc.

I don't even notice that Yasmin has crept up beside me. I swear that this girl is sly like a cat. I glance over at her squeaky clean face. Her curly hair is wet and hanging. She's a pretty girl, her mother is beautiful but she looks nothing like her.

"Hey Keh, told you I wouldn't take long." She smiles. "What you doing?" She climbs on the stool next to me.

It's cute how baggy my clothes are on her...

"You could have taken your time... and just work related stuff." I close my laptop and look at her.

"Oh... well when can I start working?, I gotta start stacking up to get my momma out." She leans on the bar.

"You can start in a few days... and let's just focus on you Yasmin... your mom isn't going to be getting out anytime soon...."

Her happy expression goes cold...

"What does that mean?"

"She doesn't have a bond Yasmin... she can't be bailed out or I would have got her out... your moms my friend... I wouldn't let her sit."

"The system is so corrupt ... he was tryna rape her... I gotta get her a lawyer... can I please start tonight?" She begs, almost in tears "I'm not even tired... I can work minimum wage I don't care."

"Yasmin... you have to calm down... let me handle it."

"Tell me the truth... were you selling my mom drugs?... how do you have all of this fancy shit Kehlani?"

"I've never sold your mom a single thing... And yes... technically I got what I got by selling drugs but that isn't my life anymore... after I bought my first property I stopped." I finish my glass.

"Then that stupid dread headed bitch did... the one that said kids ain't allowed... I could tell my momma was cracked out when she was getting arrested... her eyes were huge and soulless... why didn't you stop her Kehlani?!... you knew she was gonna get high." She starts to cry...

"Yasmin... it's not that simple."

"Whatever, it doesn't even matter... she's gone now... right?" She wipes her tears.

"You should get some sleep... you've had a long day."

"Can I have a drink?"

"Yes, help yourself... there is juice, water and soda in the fridge."