> Chapter 19 <

"This is obviously a kidnap"

"Girl, if you don't shut that pretty mouth of yours, imma g-"

"Okay, Kyle. There's no need to threaten me with that serial killer face of yours", a light scoff escaped my mouth at the fuming ebony haired Kylie.

"The fact that I know the road you're using and exactly where you would bring me to is n-"

"We're here!", the girl who was earlier raging, immediately beamed with a wide smile on her face.

"I'm not going inside and you definitely know that", I side eyed the girl who has already parked her car and ready to head inside.

"Alexis, relax. I've brought you here for a reason. Your brother, Jake told me that your mum isn't feeling well"

"That- How did I not know?!"

"It seems like your mum was hesitating to let you know. That's what Jake told me"

"She's the only connection I had with my family members. Why wouldn't she let me know if she was ill, in the first place. Gosh, that woman", I practically hopped off her jeep and paced inside.

"Welcome home, Alexis", Mr Paul; with a warm smile that I've not seen in years, scooted over to let me and Kylie in.

"Where's mum?", were the first words that spilled from my mouth.

"She's upstairs", Logan who was busy in the kitchen, walked in the living room with a bowl of acai.

Without any further conversation, my feet found its way upstairs to where the master bedroom is. "Mum?"

"Sweetheart. You came", with a visible frown she patted the empty spot, beside her occupied space, on the mattress.

Her eyes were bloodshot red, eyebag covering both her under eyes, along with dark rings starting to form around them. It seems like she hadn't slept in a while and her body also indicates that food isn't an option whenever she feels hungry.

At the sight infront of me, I even wonder if she eats any because of her skeleton like structure.

I, for sure wanted to see my mum but not like this!

The house didn't change much; including the people living here except for my mum ugh. Just the wallpapers and the once old-fashioned chandeliers are replaced into a new one.

"How are you, my sweetie pie?", she was obviously faking the smile for me, her lovely daughter.

"Not so good after knowing you weren't feeling well", I just couldn't lock my eyes with her; afraid she will feel in fault for the tears welling up in my eyes right now.

"I'm sorry I didn't let you know myself, dear. I couldn't bring myself to do it as you are already preoccupied and hectic with your career; I didn't want it to be a distraction. After all, you left the house to pursue what you are doing right now"

"I want you to be more specific, mum. It's more like, my so called dad, Mr Paul and brothers - Logan and Jake made me pack my bags. It's not like I've wanted to leave my only family anyways. If they didn't lock me up in my room for standing up for myself, why would I leave? Not only that, they did everything they could to make me hate them"

"Did you at least talk to your dad just now, before heading upstairs?"

"You think I would? In your dreams, ma", I scoffed earning a deep sigh; maybe fed up with my stubborn attitude.

"Dear, could you at least move in here? I miss your presence around to the point I isolate myself most of the time"

"Ma, please drop that topic okay. I ain't moving in to be around these men. I told you I would gladly look after you if you move in with me", my statement ended with her tears gently spilling from the corner of both her eyes.

"Mum! Why are you crying? I-"

"Alexis, do you love your mum?"

"What are you-"

"Do you love your mum, Alexis?!"

"Of course I love you, ma! Why-"

"Will you do whatever it takes to keep me happy?"

"Obviously ma! What's the matter with these sudden unnecessary questions?", my eyebrows crashed in confusion, the room filling with both our muffled and soft yells at the rising tension.

"I need you to stay over for the next 2 days starting, tomorrow. The Mendes are visiting over"

"You mean Shawn and his family?"

"Yes and no objections"

"Why would I need to-"

"I said no objections, Alexis!"

"Ma, at this point you are also ordering me around. I thought you would understand-"

"I am diagnosed with cancer okay! For the love of god, please just do something this once for me, Alexis"