> Chapter 22 <

"Oh dear, you both are back", Mrs Mendes engulfed me in a bear hug as I returned one to not seem rude.

I shot a bright smile for a mere second and wiped it off when I spun around towards my mum. "Ma, can we have a word? Just for 5 minutes"

She instantly nodded her head with a wide smile. We headed to the backyard when I harshly shut the sliding door behind us but not too loud for them to hear.

"Mum, are you out of your damn mind?"

"Watch that foul language, Alexis"

"Foul language. My ass. Aren't you ashamed of what you are trying to do, mum? Arranging a marriage with someone I barely even held a conversation with, just for fame and money? And the worst part is, I myself didn't know about this. You're literally forcing me into this without my consent"

"That is not why I want you to be with the Mendes, Alexis. Y-"

"Stop beating around the bush, mum"

"Fine, look. I want you to find a happy family before I peacefully close my eyes. A family that can give and show the love we missed out on. Cancer is extremely dangerous and unpredictable hence you never know what happens-"

"ENOUGH, MUM!", my shriek almost came out inaudible at her gruesome words, tears welling in my eyes ready to fall. "How can you lie like that right to my face?"

"Lie about what exactly?"

"I got to know everything. Shawn overheard the conversation you had with his mum. You want these both families to unite just so both your companies would stand out. You don't even give a shit about me and all you care about is fame!"

"Shut up, Alexis! That's not-"

"YOU FCKING SHUT UP, MUM! You do not have any cancer and you are totally fine, y-you were just randomly sick the other day. You were the only one I trusted in this h-home. The home I once called my 'family'. Who knows what other lies you have told just so I was under your control", I sniffed, wiping the uncontrollably spilling tears.

"Dear-", I set my palm in between us to indicate that whatever she was about to state is just going to make it all worse.

"You should've just let me go instead of putting me into this horrendous situation. I would've minded my own business knowing you were all doing just fine somewhere else. It was entirely my mistake that I trusted you", few minutes later I made up my mind,

"I'm leaving and don't even think of coming after me. You just proved that you are just as the others, Mum"