> Chapter 39 <

"Shawn, you're freezing come on in!", I grabbed the nearest coat and spread it over him, closing the door behind us. "Have a seat, I'll get you something warm to drink"

"I would usually deny it but oh god, I could really use some warmth right now"

Few minutes later I left the kitchen with 2 mugs with steaming hot tea; one for him and the other one for me. "There you go, Shawn"

"Thanks"

"You didn't have to come-"

"Stop right there. I came because I wanted to, so stop telling me that I shouldn't have", he sipped on the tea and closed his eyes at the relief the warmth caused him.

"Okay I'm sorry, how did-"

"I have my ways"

"You don't even know what I'm about to ask"

"The only 'how' question you've been asking me is 'How do you know where I live'. It would have been nice of you to ask me 'How are you' instead of that"

"I'm really sorry, I don't know what to do. I'm so confused, Shawn"

"Alexis, and that is why I'm here. That is why I want you to share your sorrow with me"

"Shawn...", I watched as he set the mug on the coffee table and scooted a little more, closing the gap between us. Soon, I felt as though sinking in his warm embrace, the heat radiating from each of our body calming the ridiculously tense moment.

"How does it feel?"

"I feel at home, Shawn. I can't thank you all enough for the immense love"

"If that's how you truly feel, I'm happy", he detached himself from me and ruffled my already messy hair. "And! As for how and why I'm here..."

"You have your ways blah blah", I teased him.

"Yes I have my ways and I'm glad that I did"

"So why..."

"Well, we've got a heads up in JJ's case", his words rang repeatedly in my head, stunning me speechless.

"Don't talk about that anymore, Shawn. Just don't"

"Alexis, why not? He's the only reason why you're like this. I can clearly see the love you have for him. I'm gonna do whatever I can to get him out of that hell hole"

"No..."

"Alexis don't tell me what to do just this once"

"If I said NO, then NO, Shawn!"

"Why?! Why not?"

"Because he had it admit himself to me. To me, Shawn. He literally told me that he murdered The Pauls"

"Well, that's bullshit because that's not what my parents told me"

"Your parents?"

"Yeah, do you even remember that my mum is a lawyer? She works with the LAPD (Los Angeles Police Department) and guess what they found out?"

"Don't tell me..."

"Exactly, he didn't do it! Mark my words, he didn't, Alexis! He's not guilty of this case"

"How... when he confessed it himself?"

"Oh come on, Alexis. Have you not heard of bribery? Someone bribed the head of the forensic department and had them forge the evidence, which means they never found JJ's so called traces at the crime scene. It was all a lie!"

I heaved a deep breath feeling as if a burden was lift off of my shoulders. "So that also means, JJ was lying and he was forced to confess such horrible thing. How hideous is that?"

"See, that is why you should've stuck with us all along. We would've helped you in whatever ways we can"

"You guys are great", a soft smile appeared at the corner of my lips.

"You may wonder why I didn't tell you over text?"

"You read my mind like an open book, Shawn"

"Well, it's because I never trust technology. You never know what hackers are up to"

"I feel way better that you said it in person, Shawn. It means lot"

"That's my pleasure, Alexis. My sister misses you though, she conveyed her regards to you"

"Oh how much I've missed my little angel, Aaliyah. And also I miss my girls", a frown was visible on my face that Shawn had to budge in immediately.

"Yeah they miss you too!"

"Actually, you came but Kylie didn't?"

"She doesn't know and I didn't tell her I came to see you"

"Why? She must be worried"

"There's no need for that. She doesn't care where I am these days", he shrugged and held the mug close to his lips.

"What do you mean?"

"It's not that we broke up but... we are having a break from each other. I personally think it wouldn't work either"

"What does that mean? I thought you guys were doing great"

"Trust me, everything was amazing until you decided to vanish into the thin air. She became insanely short tempered and started blaming everything on me. We're still friends though"

"Oh so, it's all my fault. I should've seen the consequences beforehand rather than taking such stupid decisions"

"Don't get me wrong, Alexis but you have nothing to do with it. I mean of course Kylie and I hit it off on the first sight but you never know what the future holds for you. Hence she isn't the one for me, Alexis. That's one thing I know for sure"