Chapter 1

Picking up my bike from the ground, I shivered as the October wind pushed the leaves across the cement ground. The rattling sound, somehow comforted me. Resting my bike against the wall to my school, I forced my finger to work the lock so that it clicked closed this time.

Biting my lip as it finally made it in, I experimentally pulled on it. Satisfied that it was locked, I made my way up the sidewalk towards the entrance of my school.

It was odd coming to school after the summer I had, pushing pass the heavy doors. Entering the main corridor, I sighed at the feel of warmth that graced my neck as I removed my scarf. Seeing other students coming in, I headed towards my first class even though I had an hour before school actually started.

"Yo, Rib-eye!"

Hearing that annoying nick name I tensed, slowly I turned praying I wouldn't see...

"Ugh" I found myself caught up in a hearty hug, from my good friends Dolan. "Argh! Dolan put me down!" I shouted, exasperated, and breathless.

He dropped me back down, I felt my braids coming out from the high bun I'd put them in.

He gave ma once over, his calm hazel eye's twinkling with humor. "It looks our little Rib-eyes has grown."

Hearing this, I froze in putting my hair up and glared at him, "I'm not short." I gritted my teeth.

A friendly voice cut Dolan off before he could make a come-back.

"To Dolan everyone's short." Rylan walked around Dolan, and placed a comforting hand on my hand, an amused expression gracing her pretty features. "I feel your pain." She added with feeling.

Her hazel eyes looked at me with sympathy. I growled at her. "You're not winning points Rye."

She chuckled stepping back, and raising her hands in surrender. "Don't bite me, okay?" She threw a look to Dolan, "He's the one who started it."

Rylan and Dolan McCauldy, where twins who'd made me their personal playmate when we were in grade school. They shared their mother's expressive hazel eyes, and their father thick brunette curls.

Right now as they stood, looking down at me with mischievous grins, I wandered why I'd made friends with them.

"So did you do your summer math homework?" Rylan asked we made our way to our first class.

Yep. Now I remember the reason I was close to them.

I shook my head, as Dolan tried, and failed to hide his laughter behind his hand, I leaned forward so he could see my glare. "Is there something funny, Dolan?" I asked slowly.

He quickly shook his head, "Nope. I'm not going tell you, you're violent." He said while mock hiding behind Rylan. Who laughed as I tried to hit the big lug.

"Ha-ha, will you to stop it.Wow!" She exclaimed, when Dolan spun her into me. Which caused, short me to go flying, and slamming into the dark-brown lockers that lined the wall.

"Oh no!"

"Rib-eye! Are you okay?"

They both cried out, as they stepped forward to help me. Only to bump their heads, they hissed out in pain as they glared at each other.

I would have laughed at them if it wasn't for the fact my head was still wheeling from having slammed the back of it against the locker.

A tanned hand appeared in my spinning view. Glad that someone had finally come forward to help me, I took the hand. And came to my feet, dusting my skirt off. I looked up only to freeze.