Chapter 3

Camilan was technically a small city, but with squeezed between two major cities it got a lot of traffic.

Despite the two cities, it had remained its red-brick buildings and cobblestoned roads, my mom had been eager to move here when she’d learned that the architect was some German who’d been contracted by the British guy who’d managed to become mayor here.

Bypassing some of the traffic, I crossed a tiny bridge that ran over a small portion of the Merlin’s creek. My mind was easily caught up in the many colors of the turning leaves. If I wasn’t rushing to school, I’d stop and snapped a picture.

Steward Academy, held student’s from all sort of back grounds but since the school was separated by the subject you were studying it was hard to be rude to persons of different back grounds. Not that I cared for that type of thing.

Turning the corner, I approached the academy that always made me think of a stoned mansion that’s been simply converted into a school. Waving to the cross walk guard, I rode my bike up the bike rack that sat close to the back door of the school. Chaining it up I ran around to the front of the school, and rushed in with the other students.

Most of us came early in our regular clothes, we’d stop by our lockers and grab our uniforms. Seeing mine I eagerly pulled the bag off my locker and went the bathroom.

The chatter of different voices filled the girl’s bathroom, as we changed and spritzed ourselves up for the day.

Standing in a stall changing, I was holding my breath as I tried to button my skirt when I heard from the other side two girls talking about one our schools hotties.

“Did you hear about Jordan?” Her voice whispered, barely below the octave of a shout.

“No, what happened?” The person she was supposedly talking to shouter back.

“Dude, apparently he and Luther got into it, over Tiffany again.” She laughed, “I don’t get the appeal about the girl. Everyone seems to die over some baby blue man.”

Her friends joined in on her humor, “I know right, their embarrassing themselves every weekend over her.”

Finished changing I walked out of the bathroom, and shook my head. Jordan and Luther had been fighting over Tiffany since she’d showed up freshman year. Normally I didn’t give much thought to the gossip of the school, but something about Tiffany just really bothered me sometimes.

Shoving the thought about those three away, I quickly made my way to the cafeteria to meet up with Rylan and Dolan.

“I was wondering where you were Rib-eye.” Dolan exclaimed when he noticed me walking towards him.

I frowned at him, as I took a seat next to Rylan, “Can’t you call me by my name for once, its simple and easy, Rebecca.”

He rolled his eyes, brushing his hair, “Why would I want to do what’s easy? That’s for you liberal arts students.”

“hah! You write a book in a day and tell me it’s easy!” I growled, in an effort not to jump up and high kick in the head, I turned towards Rylan who was reading, “What’s your first class?”

She tapped her badge, which held a plus sign and the pi symbol, “It’s a seminar on Advance Chemistry.” She rubbed her forehead, “I don’t know what they were thinking giving me such a heavy class first in the morning.”

I drew back, my face grimacing, “What you just said there, ugh, no.”

“That’s because logic escapes you, mere mortal.” Dolan added.