4

I couldn't sleep. Bucky did understand me. I mean, if he didn't understand me, then he wouldn't even be able to answer his question, so he did understand me. Bucky could feel the same way like he couldn't fall in love with someone.

There was a gentle knock at my door, very soft, almost like the person didn't want to knock but did anyways. I get off my bed and open my door to see a half-drunk Bucky with a half-empty bottle in his hand "oh shoot, I'm on the wrong floor", he slurs, going to turn around. "Bucky, you know this is my floor. Did you get here wait you are literally theee doors down why are you here" I rush over to grab his arm to save him from falling, leading him into my room, sitting him down on my bed "oh god, you were so beautiful tonight," he slurred "oh, come on, James you're drunk" I whisper closing my door?

"what's with the names? Call me Bucky, not James" I grab his bottle and place it on my table, shaking my head. It's more formal for colleagues" sitting down next to him, I could smell his minty breath. How was it still minty? He probably drunk a lot so it should smell like beer right?

"oh come on, we live in the same building y/n, we see each other every morning, and we are partners", he chuckled, laying down on my bed "your bed is so comfortable", he groans, trying to sit back up "just fucking go to bed ill sleep in your room tonight," I say grabbing some clothes "no no I can make it back," he says trying to stand but failing miserably "ok I'm staying you go," he says waving me goodbye. I walk out, closing my door, bumping into Tony "oh hey, tony," I smile, hugging him.

"who were you talking to," Tony asks suspicious "oh, bucky is drunk, so I thought id give him my room for the night whilst I sleep in his bed because he can't stand up" I chuckle lightly, causing Tony to smile "thoughtful arent you" he chuckles. I shrug "id like to think so" I walk away, waving him goodbye rushing to Bucky's room three doors down, making sure no one saw me.

His room was dark and gloomy, but I liked it. It was perfect to sleep in. I lay on his bed and almost instantly fell asleep.

Time skip - Next Day

Last night was hectic, Steve wanting to kiss me, Bucky noticing me, Bucky asleep in my bed "oh shit," I say, sitting up and looking around, realising I'm in his room. The door opens quickly before I cover up, remembering that I forgot to change last night. Before I could even look, the door closes, and Bucky is standing at the end of the bed; and I jump out quickly, putting on the hoodie that I left on the floor. "Hey", Bucky says without any agitated tone or disturbed look. "Hey, Bucky", clearing my throat, I start making his bed "did you have a nice sleep," I ask him awkwardly. "Yeah, did you?" he asks, and I nod placing the pillows on neatly "glad you did" He clears his throat to ease the tension.

"About last night in the elevator", he sits on the bed. I look at him sitting down beside him "it didn't mean anything, you know I was just drunk asking you a question sorry," he continues ", and then later that night I did have my mind you were beautiful, you know, of course you were, but I didn't mean to barge in on your space" he clears his throat as I place a hand on his thigh feeling him tense up then I smack his arm. Hence, he stops tensing up "ouch", he whines, "oh, but you can get kicked by some tall fucking creature but not another fossil," I say. "I wanted to say thank you for letting me sleep in your bed because I couldn't walk, ok," He said, and I could tell he was anxious "your welcome", I smiled, standing up.

I walk to my room and close the door to see that he made my bed the same way I usually make it in the morning, pillows fluffed, blanket evenly hanging off the bed, and my mattress aligned with my base. It was the little things I appreciated, and deep down, I think Bucky knew that... James knew that. I think James knew that.

When I'm drying my hair, the door opens slowly "y/n" It was Steve "what" I say, turning around to face him "I'm sorry", he says, twiddling his thumb "there's a lot of apologies going around this morning" I sigh tying my hair up in a basic ponytail "I want to blame the alcohol, but deep down I know that it wasn't the alcohol" clearing his throat I couldn't help but feel bad for him, one minute he's living his life with the love of his life and his best friend next thing you know he wakes up seventy years later to a whole new America. In a way, I did feel bad for him, but I didn't understand it all. I mean, he only kissed Peggy once.

"anyways, I think Bucky wanted to talk to you last night, so" He leans against the door frame looking at my brown hair and then in my eyes ", oh yeah right, he did talk to me last night", I gently smile as Steve nods "he was a bit drunk" I chuckle thinking about the things he said last night.

Oh god, you were so beautiful tonight. He thought I was beautiful, no one had called me that for eighty years or no one that I care about for that matter, or maybe it is the fact that I don't remember it, but out of all people, why would Bucky call me beautiful, he finds me grotesque, or perhaps he found me grotesque... I couldn't tell.

Steve leaves my room, as do I, but I turn towards Bucky's room instead of following Steve. The hallway appeared to be darker than usual Stark must have been working on something. I reach Bucky's door and prepare to knock on it, but the door swings open. I'm face to face with him "oh shit", we both say, stepping back "shit y/n you scared me", he says, letting out a light sigh "hey yeah, sorry I was just wondering what did you mean I was beautiful" I say asking him a pretty obvious question.

"well, you were beautiful last night, makeup or not, you are naturally beautiful, which is hard to find in women, especially for a woman over fifty. I mean, how do you not get wrinkles fossil," he says, walking past me, and I jog up to him "so you think I am beautiful," I say, still shocked "of course I do. Steve does sooo" I stand still, Steve finds me beautiful, so Bucky does too that's just wrong "do you feel like you have to call me beautiful because Steve calls me that" I say loudly as he turns around and places a finger across his lips indicating for me to be quiet, he walks towards me grabbing my arm and dragging me into his room closing the door behind him.

"Yes I know you are finding it quite unbelievable that I, Bucky Barnes, called you beautiful but I mean it from the way your hair falls to the way your nose scrunches up when you do something corny ok yes I mean it now can we just move this fucking conversation along" He practically rolls his eyes at me in disgust "there it is the eye roll y/n you stupid fuck why would I think that ugh nevermind" I let out a frustrated sigh and storm off out of his room.

"y/n wait" Bucky jogs after me grabbing my hand pulling me towards him "I'm not kidding" he says through his gritted teeth his metal arm lets go so I could take a step back but I don't, why? I have no fucking clue but I liked being this close to him admiring how his blue eyes looked at me intimately to how his arm tenses up at the fact I didn't take a step back "y/n I'm very serious" he says letting out a frustrated sigh causing his minty cool breath to hit my neck.

"you are very fucking beautiful" he smiles and then before he could say anything else "y/n?" Clint says causing me to turn around and I rush over to him hoping he didn't overhear everything, Bucky rushes past me and Clint walking off.

"whats his deal" Clint says as I shrug "he was telling me something but I guess it wasn't that important" I clear my throat knowing that I will be thinking about that conversation for the next decade.