Episode 8: Adventure

"So, there I was, hanging from the edge of my seat, ready to accept the award for 'Most Improved'. I mean, it had to be me, right? I'd been tearing up the arena, getting knockouts left and right. I even went on a ten-win streak. Ten!"

The mountainous mass of black symbiote tensed up, his frustration boiling.

"It was supposed to be me . . ." he whispered.

His finger then shot towards the figure at the other end of the room: a being of crimson goo, slightly slimmer, indulging in a comic book.

"Yet they hand it to this goofball instead!? Are you serious!?"

"Face the facts, Venom," the red man implored. "You just lost. No need to cry about it."

"What facts?" the black beast hissed. "I was cheated! I improved more than you and you know it, Carnage!"

The one of crimson, Carnage, merely shrugged.

"Apparently not, since I'm the one with the trophy in my case."

He chuckled.

The behemoth, Venom, turned to me.

"Can you believe this jerkface?"

For my part, I insisted with my signature Are you serious? Face. (Getting pretty good at it.)

Chains had been wrapped around my person, keeping my butt glued to the metal chair beneath me. Around us, the essence of a dingy hideout smirked, complete with stained cement flooring and fluorescent lights that flickered like dysfunctional fireflies.

I'm still trying to figure out how I got here.

The memories unfolded like pages of a book:

First, the walking of my dimension to this one (like usual);

next, the all-encompassing blackness that swallowed me whole, knocking my buttons out cold;

finally, my waking up in the aforementioned dingy hideout.

(Seriously, get a damn broom. This place is filthy.)

At first, a sense of terror gripped me tight as the symbiote's many, many teeth greeted my coming to. But as the duo's comedy routine unfolded, as they bickered like brothers, my panic quickly dissolved into indifference. (Well, for the most part. I still had an essay due tomorrow, so unless someone could give me the power to type with my hands tied, I was, as the kids say, "screwed".)

"You need to learn to be humble, Carnage," Venom insisted. He gestured towards himself, smug. "Like me."

"Weren't you just bragging about getting a win streak?" I asked.

Carnage's eyes stuck to his read. "They have a point."

Venom grimaced. "I wasn't bragging! I was merely giving an example as to why I should've won the award. Learn to pay attention."

"Sorry," I said, sarcastic. "It can be a little hard to focus with all these chains on me. Shame on me for not being used to being kidnapped."

"For the record, we didn't kidnap you," Big Black said. "We're merely borrowing."

"I'm pretty sure taking someone against their will is considered kidnapping."

"You didn't tell us not to."

"Because you knocked me out!"

"Debatable."

"Debata—?"