Episode 14: Youth

Dread.

Desperation.

But most of all, haste, her tiny feet scrambling through the maze of timber as shadows thrived at every conceivable corner.

I need to find an adult.

Miss Rachnera. Mr. Foster. Lucy. Anyone!

Her breaths stumbled past her teeth, her chest quivering as the cool air dug into her skin.

I'll come back for you.

I just . . .  I need help.

A wish rejected, for her tired legs finally gave in, and the lone monster girl collapsed to the ground.

No amount of determination would bring her back.

She squeezed her fingers around a clump of grass, a tear trickling down her cheek.

Daddy . . .

MC . . .

Please, help me . . .

Behind her, the shuffling of feet—slow, relaxed.

Then, the voice, one which forced every chamber of her soul to shiver.

"Little pig, little pig, there you are~."

Earlier that day . . .

A hush, swirling through the oak cabin, comforting the monster girls with sublime serenity as they snuggled in their bunk beds. Past the windows, the morning sun peeked over the horizon, beginning its meeting with the marshmallow clouds already drifting past.

A moment later and sounds began to stir just outside; more specifically, the cordial humming of a flute, the notes fluttering like blue jays as they lent the little ones company.

"Hm?" Agatha hummed, her consciousness flickering.

Below her, Wolfette tossed and turned. "Five more minutes . . .  C'mon, Pa . . ."

Meanwhile, across the room, Across the room, Banda and Meredith had already begun stretching, preparing to get dressed for the day's activities.

"Come on, guys," the mummy girl said to the others. "We have to get ready."

Although her fatigue begged her to be as lifeless as a corpse, Agatha complied, sitting herself up to let loose a hefty yawn.

She glanced around, digesting the foreign territory she found herself in. But rather than drowning in anxiety, she hugged her excitement close, her anticipation boundless.

A smile.

"I'm really here . . .  I'm camping . . ."

"The boy's crying for me!" Wolfette howled. "I haz to go!"

Meredith shook her friend tenderly with her tentacles.

"We have to get going, Wolfette," Banda said, already in her casual attire. "Breakfast is waiting."

"Breakfast!?" The wolf girl shot right up. "Why didn't you just say so?"

The others giggled, and upon being ready, the flavorful quartet strolled out of their cabin to head into the vast mountaintop. A crisp zephyr kissed their skin as all around, as far as the imagination would render, fields of violet grass beamed from blade to blade. Alpine trees, too, gifted their greetings, their multicolored leaves swaying ever so calmly.

Banda closed the door behind them, and like an orchestra, entrances to the other cabins close by began to slide open, letting loose monster children of all shapes and sizes. Most, however, had that same expression—as though their souls had been sucked clean from their bodies.