Episode 20: The Things We Do For Our Loved Ones

Universe Five
Subverse Zero

". . . C . . ."

". . . C!"

"MC!"

Like a light flickering on, my consciousness triggered, my eyelids sliding open as I lay on my back.

"Thank goodness," Agatha F said to me. "Had me worried there for a second."

"What happened?" My head throbbed. "Why do I feel like I was shot in the brain ten times?"

"As soon as we made it through the portal, you passed out. I reckon it was because of that stunt you pulled during the fight."

That's a fair assumption. I mean, it's not every day that I summon a literal angel into battle. Either that or universal travel has some very mean jet lag.

I noticed the dried blood sticking to her forehead.

"How 'bout you?" I asked, sitting up. "You doing all right? Those broken bones not torturing you?"

Probably not the brightest question.

"I'm okay," the fox girl assured. "Fast healer. Perks of being a demon."

A couple feet away, I spotted her mortal counterpart. "What about you, M? You up to snuff?"

She gave no answer, her gaze fixed to the distance.

"What's she looking at?" I asked Agatha F.

The fox girl gestured to our surroundings. "See for yourself."

So, I did, and as my sights bounced across the scenery, I drowned in the highest form of fascination. All around, a city reminiscent of Ancient Greece welcomed us, mixed with a taste of the modern era as marble structures stretched to heights unfathomable. Up high whispered the night sky, erasing all shadows as fleets upon fleets of lustrous stars glimmered, their shades varying like fragments of a rainbow. Planets also joined our company—fluorescent globes more grand than empires, more lavishing than any goddess of beauty.

"Whoa . . ." I gasped.

"Right?" Agatha M uttered back.

We had appeared atop a wide hexagonal pillar decorated with gemstones, meaning our view was nothing short of breathtaking as our vantage point matched a raven's elevation.

Agatha F asked, "I take it this is a new universe?"

"I'm not so sure," I admitted.

Aside from us, there's no one else here. Plus, when it came to F and M's universes, they felt like actual new worlds. This place, though, feels like a new plane of existence, like I've been swept into a modified version of Heaven. Everything seems so . . . sacred.

"Well, wherever this is," Agatha F said, "it's part of MC's journey, meaning there's gotta be another us around here somewhere."

"Listen, I get what you're saying," Agatha M agreed, "and I would love to do some exploring, but we're currently about a hundred meters in the air. Now, if we can find a way to—"

Ding~

Ding~

Ding~

Like an orchestra, a wave of soothing bells began to sing throughout the city.

"What's going on?" I wondered.

My curiosity would soon be pleased as before us, a pathway of chromatic glass built itself, capturing a bridge's appearance as sturdy handrails guarded us on either side.