Episode 9: To The Top!

A quiescence flourished throughout the classroom, the monster children focused as their pens and pencils glided across their assignments. Math equations sprawled over their papers, beckoning the students to lend the correct answer; otherwise, that devilish red ink would invade their space.

Like the rest of her peers, little Agatha breathed a soldier's essence, marching through the minefield of numbers with unsteady motions. Nonetheless, she persevered, her journey's end signaled by her teacher, Miss Rachnera, addressing the class.

"Okay, children," she said sweetly, "time's up."

Some of the students melted in their seats, steam spilling out their heads, while most deflated into the hands of their relief.

Overall, a battle conquered.

"Pass your tests down," Miss Rachnera requested.

The students did.

And once their teacher had collected their hard work did she clap her hands together, smiling warmly.

"And with that, your vacation is just around the corner!"

The children cheered, shattering the tense silence with bubbles of sheer joy.

Finally! Agatha thought. Now, I get to spend all day with MC!

Meredith's tentacles wriggled smoothly.

Miss Rachnera waved her spider-like fingers, urging her little ones to deliver back their focus. They did.

"Now, we're not there just yet," she said. "We still have one more hurdle." A grin. "However, I'm sure you all will love this one, since it's time for our annual sports festival!"

Murmurs of excitement swerved through the class.

"As you all know," Miss Rachnera continued, "this is an opportunity to let loose and forget about all the schoolwork for a while. You'll be going head-to-head with the other classes in your grade, both in small groups and as a class altogether. Now, winning is great and all, but what's the most important thing we have to remember?"

"To have fun!" the students answered in unison.

"Exactly! So, even if we don't come out on top, as long as you all try your best out there, I'll be more than happy. I'm sure your parents will be thinking the same thing!"

Nonetheless, several of the children had fire burning in their pupils, their resolve so hot the sun grimaced with envy.

"Now, then," Miss Rachnera concluded, "why don't you all get into groups of four? I'll write down which events will be available in the meantime."

The students obeyed, and like magnets attracting one another, Agatha found herself drawn to Meredith and the girl of the bandages, Banda.

"Yoshi!" Agatha said. "You guys ready? 'Cause we're gonna knock this one outta the park!"

I didn't get to win at the pageant, but if I can come out on top here, I'll get major cool points from MC!

(Even though MC already thinks she's plenty cool.)

"We still need one more," Banda noted.

Agatha glanced around the room, spotting most of her classmates already in their packs.

She did, however, manage to find one stray: a short, human-like girl with long brown hair and diamond-blue eyes. Her outfit consisted of a big purple shirt and a bright yellow cape, alongside white pants and brown boots. Atop her head, a sizable violet tophat beamed.