Extra: To Be or Not to Be (A Fool)

Thnk!

No hesitation as the little monster girl plopped the wrapped object on the kitchen counter.

I raised my eyebrow, tossing my focus away from the essay that seemed as endless as the universe.

"What do we have here?" I asked.

Agatha smiled. "For you!"

I picked up the gift, weighing it in my hand.

A little light.

I don't . . . I don't think it'll kill me.

"What's the occasion?" I asked. "Wait, is it my birthday?" (When you're constantly pimp-slapped with assignments, you tend to forgor some things.)

"Heck if I know," Agatha said. "This right here is very special, though." She shot her arms into the air, grinning wildly. "Happy April Fools' Day, MC!"

Confusion bonked me on the noggin.

April Fools?

"Agatha," I said, "The first was, like, two weeks ago."

And I don't think you're supposed to get gifts on that day, unless they're of the . . . "less desirable" variety.

I gave the gift another glance.

This is safe, right?

"I know, I know. I just couldn't figure out what to get you. Daddy helped me pick it out, and I think it'll help you a lot!"

I reeled in the conversation.

"Agatha," I said, "what do you think April Fools' Day is about?"

"Celebrating fools."

She didn't even blink.

Heh?

"I'm sorry I was late, but don't assume I think any less of you." The demon girl gave me a tight squeeze. "You're still my favorite person, even if your brain is smaller than most."

. . .

Am I low-key getting insulted?

Agatha let go of me, then gestured towards her gift. "I hope that helps you out a bit."

Nothing left to explain, the smol she-devil headed back to the living room.

My jaw hung.

I don't even know . . . where to start. I . . .  What?

The bright side.

Well, at least what she gave me won't be bad, considering she didn't have pranks in mind.

I unwrapped the present.

What was inside: a therapeutic book titled Seven Signs You're Just a Weirdo.

I had never gotten out of a chair so fast in my life.

"Agatha! Agatha, I know you and your dad didn't do all that just to call me weird!"