Episode 18: For The Future

Universe Five
Subverse Eight-One-Four

"MP?"

The fox girl only stared, her world seemingly flipped on its head as the reality before her shook her senses.

MP?

Is she talking about me?

She approached, pushing her hand forward to lend my torso a soft poke.

Touched,

urging her to shuffle back.

"Y-You're . . . real?" the girl asked.

"I . . . I think so?"

Pretty sure I'm not a ghost. Not yet, anyways. Another tussle with some duckies and that answer might change.

The girl, however, had no funny bone in her body, her question genuine. In fact, as she grabbed my hand to caress it, she bit her lip, her tears trickling down to my fingers.

"I . . . I thought I'd never see you again," she whispered. "I always wanted to talk with you one more time." The girl dropped to one knee, rubbing my hand against her cheek. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. If only . . . If only I was stronger."

Of course, I couldn't comprehend the context, nor could I even begin to understand what led her to carry a century's worth of woes. However, if my time as a caretaker had taught me anything, it was this: My favorite Agatha was the one who smiled brightly.

So, with my lips curved warmly, I crouched to lay my other hand atop the fox girl's head, stroking her hair as she continued to sob.

"Nobody's perfect," I said softly. "We're all bound to make mistakes, and that's okay, so long as you use that opportunity to learn, to grow. Have you grown, Agatha?"

"Yes," she whispered, "though I still have much learning to do."

"As long as there's a start, then I couldn't be more proud. So, hold your head high, because you deserve the confidence."

The fox girl met my gaze, a small smile spreading from cheek to cheek.

The mortal variant studied the scene with widened eyes, astounded.

You make it look so natural, she thought, like you've done this hundreds of times before. Even in my case, you knew exactly how to lift me up.

Your Agatha must be very lucky.

Eventually, fox Agatha rose to her feet, wiping her face as she chuckled.

"My apologies for that," she said. "I'm a big girl now, so I shouldn't be crying like this."

"It's okay to cry," I assured her. "Means you're genuine. What I want you to understand, though, is that this is a bit of a mix up. I'm not who you think I am."

"What do you mean? You're . . ." The girl's message trailed off as she finally paid mind to her non-demon counterpart. The two studied one another—the same way a child would ogle their reflection, mesmerized.

Lifted brow.

Lifted brow.

Hand raised.

Hand raised.

Mutual confusion.

"This is weird," mortal Agatha said.

"W-What is this?" fox Agatha asked.

During the staring contest, I noticed how red seeped through the former's bandages.

"Agatha," I said.