XLVIII

"DO WE KNOW IF SHE HAD FAMILY?" Tony questioned as everyone sat outside, right beside the lake

"Yeah," Steve nodded, "Us."

Olivia lent her head on the pole as she slouched on, staring out into the river, not saying a word.

"What?" Thor spoke, "What are you doing?"

"Just asked him a question," Tony stood up as he turned to Thor.

"Yeah, no, you're acting like she's dead," Thor continued, "Why are we acting like she's dead? We have the stones, right? As long as we have the stones... Cap, we can bring her back. Isn't that right? So, stop this shit. We're the Avengers. Get it together."

"Can't get her back," Clint stated.

"What's he..." Thor looked at him, "What?"

"It can't be undone," Clint shook his head, "It can't."

Thor laughed, "Look, I'm sorry, no offense, but you're a very earthly being, okay? And we're talking about space magic. And 'can't' seems very definitive. Don't you think?"

"Yeah, look, I know that I'm way outside my pay grade here," Clint responded, "But she still isn't here, is she?"

"No, that's my point."

"It can't be undone," Clint's voice broke, "Or that's at least what the red, floating guy had to stay. Maybe you wanna go talk to him, okay?! Go grab your hammer and you go fly and you talk to him!" he paused, "It wasn't supposed to be her. It wasn't supposed to be Olivia. It was supposed to be me. She sacrificed her life for that goddamn stone. She bet her life on it."

Bruce grappled the bench out of anger and threw it.

"She's not coming back," Olivia finally spoke, causing everyone's head to snap over to her, "It's done."

"We have to make it worth it," Bruce said, "We have to."

Steve stood up, "We will."

Olivia shook her head before standing up, walking back into the Compound, trying to hide her crying.