Silent Dinner

"-the eggplant and zucchini parmesan. And that would be it."

Karlie watched for a second as the waiter walked away before looking back at her boyfriend. "So, how was work?"

"Good. How was the show?" Josh asks staring back at her.

"Good." There was an uncomfortable silence until the waiter came back with their entrée. Neither of them said anything as they ate.

While other couples might've found the silence unbearable, they were quite accustomed to it. They hadn't really had a real conversations in months. Only having small talk here and there, and sleeping together only when they were dealing with too much stress. Both knew they no longer loved each other like they once had, but were too afraid to say anything. Too comfortable with the way things were.

Karlie didn't mind the lack of love in her relationship, she figured that Josh was a nice enough guy and just having someone felt nice. She enjoyed the way some of her friends talked about them being the perfect couple even if it was farther from the truth. To the outside world, they were the perfect couple.

As the night proceeded not much else was said and the only thing filling the silence was silverware crashing against glass. As she ate her dinner Karlie thought back to her meeting with Taylor. She had been a fan of the singer for a few years now and was thrilled to meet her. When she finally got the chance to say hello to the singer she had been pleasantly surprised by how nice she was. She had planned to spend more time with the Taylor at the after party but Josh called, requesting to have dinner with her. She had agreed but now she wished she had stayed at the party.

It was midnight when Karlie and Josh left the restaurant. Both would have busy mornings so they decided to take separate caps to their respective homes. They shared a quick kiss before walking in opposite directions into the night.

                                                                        *           *          *

It had been a week since the taping of the Victoria's Secret fashion show, Karlie had just finished her gym session when she saw her phone light up, signifying a new text.

            -Hey Karlie, it's Taylor. I've been meaning to text you for a while

             but I seem to have misplaced your number. Had to get my

             publicist to retrieve it for me.

Karlie would be lying if she said she wasn't relieved to finally hear from the singer. She had worried that the Taylor was just being polite to her and wasn't actually interested in hanging out. As soon as Karlie was inside the taxi waiting for her she saved Taylor's number to her phone and replied to the singer.

            -It's alright. Just invite me out for lunch and we'll call it even.

Five minutes later the model felt her phone vibrating in her hand.

            -It's a date :) unfortunately we'll have to wait some time for it since I go

            back on tour next week.

Karlie was slightly disappointed by the news but understood that the singer was busy.

            -So when will I be graced with your presence again?

            -How does January sound?

            -Perfect. I'll see you in January, Swift.