Happy Birthday

Taylor was kicking herself as she watched the city go by, wishing they could go faster. She wonder if Dianna was even still at the park, she probably left. Taylor wouldn't have blamed her if she had. She wanted to call the actress, but her phone was dead. She had wasted the little battery she had left on her call with Karlie.

The singer wondered why she kept doing this to herself, why did she let Karlie distract her. Why couldn't she say no to her? How could she forget about Dianna so easily? It just didn't make sense to her. Dianna was there, she had been for almost two months. She had comforted her when she needed comforting, Dianna was the one she had spent her meals with, the one that had been putting up with her awful jokes, and had showed her nothing but patience and kindness. She had given her a second chance; she had stayed. Her, not Karlie. All Karlie had done was break her heart by choosing Josh over her. Dianna had been the one to put her back together. So why couldn't she just fall in love with her? Why couldn't her feeling for the model just go away? Taylor wanted a logical explanation to all of this, and she was getting none.

"Ms. Swift, we're here."

The singer instantly reached for the door's handle, not waiting for her security to get out of the car, she started running as best she could in her dress down the trail she knew would lead her to Dianna. Part of her wished she wasn't there and had left; she had no clue as to what she would tell her.

It didn't take long for Taylor to find her little picnic area, the Christmas lights she had hung, shining bring now that it was almost completely dark outside. The singer's heart sunk as she saw Dianna sat down, looking at an almost empty glass of champagne in front of her. She hadn't noticed Taylor yet, seeming too deep in her own thoughts?

Taylor held the Dianna's gift in her hand tighter as she approached the table. "Hey." Her voice sounded small even to her, and she hated that that the first thing she said.

Taylor noticed Dianna's body tensing at the sound of her voice, but she didn't look at her, instead her eyes were glued to the glass in front of her.

"You made it," she sounded tired and sad. So much for Taylor's perfect dinner.

The singer didn't know what to say, so she just took the sit across from the actress without saying anything.

The two sat in silence, Taylor wondering how she could even begin to apologize, the actress present still in her hands.

"I got you something," Taylor said, not being able to take the silence for any longer. She kept her eyes glued on the small rectangular box as she spoke, "It's a necklace, Alice in Wonderland themed. I know how much you love the book." The singer awkwardly pushed the box across the table towards Dianna. When she looked up, the actress was staring at her, a melancholy look on her face. Taylor tried reaching for her hand, but she pulled away quickly. "I'm sorry I'm late, but Karlie called and-" Taylor quickly stopped talking once she noticed the actress's expression turn from sad to angry. Her features appeared to turn to rock, her eyes going dark. It made the singer wince internally.

"The model?" Taylor flinched at how cold her voice sounded, she had never seen Dianna so mad.

The singer spoke slowly, not wanting to make the actress any angrier, "Something happened with Josh-"

Dianna stopped her, "She's dating a douchebag, what else is new?"

"I'm sorry." Taylor said lamely, she knew anything she had to say would only piss the older girl more.

Dianna released a hollow laugh, "You know, I never believed you when you said you didn't have feeling for her." Taylor wanted to say something, to deny her statement, but she knew lying right now would only make things worse. "I knew it, but I decided to ignore it. I figure that with time you would move on. I was so sure of that."

"I can move on," the singer wasn't liking Dianna's tone at all. She sounded so defeated, like she had already given up.

"Maybe. But I won't be there to see it." Dianna didn't look away from the singer once, allowing her words to sink in.

"No Dianna no," Taylor reached for her hands again, this time she didn't pull away, "We can still fix this. Like you said, I just need time." Her words were hurried and desperate, she didn't want to lose the older girl.

"You know, I was so happy when we got back together, but I was also so unsure. That night, after you had fallen asleep I made myself a promise. I promised I wouldn't come second to you again, and if I ever did, I would walk away." Dianna held on tighter to Taylor's hands as she spoke, "You had already chosen your career over us once, and that hurt like hell. It made me question every 'I love you' you had ever told me." At this point, both girls were quietly crying, both knowing what was coming. "I didn't want to go through that again, I don't want to be your second choice. I deserve better than that, I'm putting me first."

"So this is it?" Taylor asked, staring back at those hazel eyes, the ones that still managed to take her breath away.

Dianna nodded, causing more tears to fall. "Maybe it's for the best. I-I found out today that I got the part, shooting is in London so I have to move to there for a few months. Maybe we would've broken up eventually anyways. Maybe this will only make things easier."

"Congratulations," Taylor said with a weak smile. She knew how much the actress wanted that part.

Dianna returned her the same weak smile, "I better go. Maybe I can get an early fight to LA."

As the actress got up, so did Taylor. The older girl quickly pulled her into a hug, the singer holding on tight to her. Surprising the other girl, Dianna pulled slightly away and gave Taylor a kiss. It was short and bittersweet, and it made Taylor's heart ache.

"Goodbye Taylor." Dianna smiled at her once more before walking away.

Taylor sat back down on the bench, folding her arms under her chin. She was instantly met by the present Dianna would never open. In a whisper, she told the small box, the words she didn't get a chance to tell the girl with the hazel eyes.

"Happy birthday."

N/A: Trust me, this hurt me more than it hurt you. Also I came to the realization that I hate this story, I'm this close to deleting it. There's just too many things that I didn't know when I was first writing it. 

As always thanks for all the feedback. Xx.