Lies

"Oh my God! This cat is so cute!"

Taylor giggled as she watched the brunet laying down on the floor, attempting to be eye to eye with the small cat. Olivia, however, was having none of it, curling up in a ball, no doubt getting ready for another nap.

"Is she falling asleep?" Karlie asked with a laugh.

"Looks like it," the singer said, placing the glasses of wine on the coffee table and sitting down on the couch.

The model scoffed at the cat, "And here I was trying to have a bonding moment with her." A small pout appeared on her face as she got up and made her way towards Taylor on the couch. "So what are we watching?"

"Well, Law & Order is always desired but there is also Friends and Grey's Anatomy."

Both girls faced each other as they talked, sitting on the opposite ends of the couch. It felt unnatural to the singer, had they gotten together to watch a show a couple of weeks back, they would've been sitting right next to each other.

"Friends will do." Taylor quickly got up from the couch to start setting everything up.

"Will you mind getting the popcorn from the kitchen while I get everything ready?"

"Sure thing!" Karlie got up, skipping her way towards the kitchen. Taylor shook her head as she watched the model go, a small laugh escaping her.

Soon enough both girls were back on the couch, this time sitting slightly closer together. Taylor watched the screen before her, but didn't pay much attention to what was going on. Her thoughts were somewhere else, more specifically, they were on the girl sitting beside her.

She wondered if this was a good idea, hanging out with Karlie again. Of course she already knew the answer to that: no. This was most definitely not a good idea. Maybe it had been the way they had left things, but whatever it was, Taylor knew she wasn't over the model quite, yet. But despite her better judgement, she still wanted Karlie in her life. She missed the way they used to be, staying up far too late, baking cookies together and sharing secrets. The model had become Taylor's best friend in the short time they had known each other; she wanted her best friend back. Who knows, maybe having the younger girl back in her life will help her move on.

Taylor knew the model didn't care for her the way she did, she had made that clear. First, that day in the rain, and then again at the Met Gala. Taylor had secretly hoped Karlie would get jealous when she found out about her and Dianna, however, the model had been completely unaffected by the news. It made the singer wonder if maybe it really had all been in her head. Maybe when they kissed in her kitchen it had been just that, a kiss. Maybe Karlie never cared for her as more than a friend. Maybe she really loved Josh and Taylor had only seen what she wanted to see. Maybe she had had it all wrong.

Taylor was quickly snapped out of her thoughts when she heard Karlie calling her name.

"Sorry, what was that?"

"I was just asking were Dianna was, haven't seen her around here," Karlie asked, reaching towards the bowl of popcorn between them.

"Oh, she's in London auditioning for a role. She was supposed to be back today, but they wanted her to stay longer. That's a good sign I guess."

"So how did you guys get together?" The model asked, briefly looking at Taylor before returning her gaze towards the TV.

"Oh, you know..." Taylor didn't continue.

"No, I don't know, that's why I'm asking."

"I don't know, we just did," the singer said stubbornly, reaching for some popcorn as well.

"Alright," Karlie said with a small laugh, "then why did you guys break up in the first place all that time ago? Or do you not know that, either?"

Taylor sighed, this wasn't a topic she liked talking about. It hadn't been one of her best moments.

Karlie, however, seemed intent on getting an answer, starting at the singer expectantly for a long time. Eventually, the singer gave in.

"Let's just say some people didn't think it was a good idea for me to be seen dating her," Taylor said ashamed. She had always regretted doing that, she hated how much control she allowed her publicist have over her life. She should've stood her ground, but instead she gave in out of fear; she chose her career over love. She wasn't sure how Dianna had been able to forgive her after that.

The model immediately understood what she was implying. "Oh."

Karlie didn't ask about Dianna after that.

****

"I just don't understand why you are talking to her again," Dianna said, her hand running through her hair.

"She's still my friend." Taylor had known something like this would happen, there was no way the actress was going to be happy with her and Karlie hanging out again, but she didn't want to lie to her about it.

They were quiet for a while, the older girl seemed to be trying to calm herself down.

"I don't know what it is that happened between you two, all I know is that you were devastated afterwards. You can't honestly expect me to be fine with this."

Taylor didn't answer, she wasn't sure how to. Dianna, on the other hand, started pacing from one side of the room to the other, clearly exasperated.

"Just answer me this one thing, and I want you to be honest," Dianna said, coming to a stop in front of the singer, "do you still have feelings for her?"

"No." Taylor kicked herself internally for lying. She wasn't even sure why she did it, did she want to protect Dianna or did she simply want to still keep Karlie in her life?

"Sorry Taylor, but I don't believe you at all," the older girl said, a sad look on her face.

"I'm telling you the truth." More kicking.

Dianna stared at the girl in front of her, trying to read her, "Then prove it."

"How?" At this point Taylor realized she was in too deep with this lie.

"Let's all have dinner together," she replied without missing a beat, "you, me, her and her boyfriend."

"Okay." Shit, shit, shit.

N/A: *cue suspenseful music*