Chapter 1 : Therapy

A/N :

I know too many words can be overwhelming when starting a new book, but just trust me, it gets better :)

Y/n tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear, searching through the several packs of patients' files that were perfectly tucked away in the filing cabinet that was set in the back of her office. Today was an ordinary day. Over the past few years, she had been living the same day over and over again. Assisting her mother through her work as a therapist.

A simple therapist who merely wanted to help those in need. Specialising in PTSD patients was always quite a handful, which is why her mother only gave her one client to actually talk to, to help. Anything could trigger them to shut down immediately, assuming that they would even be able to let their guard down in the first place. Every intricate detail in their mind was to be dissected to formulate the perfect plan in order to assist them in their road to recovery.

Y/n had always wanted to follow her mother's line of work as a psychologist. Her mother had enlisted in the military, served in the US Army, she was a person to look up to. Although, part of her knew that one of the biggest reasons she had become a psychologist was to impress her mother. Her mother may have been an excellent shrink but she had always felt that she was cold towards her. Disappointed. She didn't know why.

Y/n was expected to be perfect. Maybe seeing the hardships of others every day begins to make you blind to the troubles of those that are close to you. As was mentioned, her mother was an excellent shrink, but Y/n sometimes found herself thinking that her mother lacked empathetic skills oddly enough. Especially towards her own daughter.

She continued to search through the folders until she finally came across the file.

Henderson, R

Mr Robert Henderson was an older man who suffered from depression, anxiety and post traumatic stress disorder after his wife had been murdered many years ago in a hotel while abroad. His original plan was to meet her after taking care of an important case with a client, as he was a lawyer. However, that plan had significantly changed once he was notified that she had been murdered. The police described it as a wrong place, wrong time situation. Y/n had always felt sorrow towards the old man. He had found love and it was ripped away from him unwillingly. He had no other family, no kids. Completely alone. He was really her only client since her mother had taken over the rest. Besides, Y/n was a very reserved person with most people, it didn't make sense to give her a handful of patients if she couldn't handle it.

Y/n began to walk over to her mother's office, the requested file in her hands.

Meanwhile, her mother had been with a regular patient who had been appearing for the last six months. Although, he wasn't like any other patients.

"I trust people..."

"Yeah, give me your phone," Raynor ordered in a tone that indicated she was ready to prove a point.

"You don't have 10 phone numbers on this thing. Oh and you have been ignoring the texts from Sam. Look, you gotta nurture friendships. I am the only person you have called all week. That is so sad."

Y/n had finally made it to her mother's office door, hearing voices echo in the room. She stood there silently debating whether she should enter and risk being scolded in order to fulfil the task that her mother had given her, or to leave and explain to her mother about the fact that she was unable to hand in the file.

Y/n found herself listening intently to the conversation that was being held behind the door. She heard a man's voice as well as her mother's, ring through her ears. For some unknown reason, she was curious to listen in on their conversation.

"You're alone. You are 100 years old. You have no history. No family..."

100 years old? Y/n questioned herself, confused on how the man was 100 years old yet his voice seemed as if it came from a much younger man. Maybe in their 40's.

"Are you lashing out at me Doc? Because that's really unprofessional, you know, I mean when did that start happening? When did you start yelling at your clients?"

Y/n sighed as she heard a monotone voice of a man from the other side of the door, standing up to her mother without a care in the world. She heard the slapping of a book, causing the man to continue to speak.

"Oh the notebook- that's great..."

Y/n couldn't stand the harsh, tough love she was giving this patient. If he was like any other patient who often came here, he most likely suffered through PTSD and this, in her opinion, wasn't the way to treat him properly. So she decided to step in when she heard the man sigh in defeat mixed with frustration.

Y/n swung the door open, slightly annoyed that her mother was acting so harsh towards the man.

"Mom. I think you should give him a break, ok? I don't know why this man is here but I'm pretty sure you're not helping very much by lashing out at him," she sighed, referencing what the man had said earlier.

"Y/n, this isn't your business," Doctor Raynor stated simply, irritated by her daughter's interference.

Y/n furrowed her eyebrows slightly before her eyes flickered to the man in the all-black attire, fitted with gloves, that was staring up at her with a straight face.

"Shit," she whispered to herself, immediately noticing who he was.

"I- I'm sorry, Sergeant Barnes. I didn't mean to intrude, it's just-"

"It's fine," he mumbled before turning to look away from her.

Sergeant Barnes... He hadn't heard that in a while. He wasn't even sure he deserved the old title.

"Y/n, leave. Now," her mother demanded, the notebook resting on her lap as she looked up at her embarrassed daughter.

"Fine, just...lay off of him a little...please," she answered anxiously before setting the patient's document that she held in her hands on the small table beside her mother, finally walking out of the room.

However, Y/n couldn't stop herself from listening to the rest of the conversation after she was supposed to leave. She stood outside of the room, continuing to listen intently. To see if her mother would back off.

She listened to the man describe his troubles he had to deal with over the past 90 years, then her mother began to talk again.

"Now that you've stopped fighting. What do you want?"

Y/n listened to the thick silence that filled the room behind the door before he finally answered.

"Peace," he replied simply in a low voice.

Y/n was taken aback as she listened to her mother's reaction.

"That is utter bullshit."

"You're a...terrible shrink," he commented.

Y/n had enough. She scoffed, finally deciding to walk away. This wasn't how to treat people. Especially him, in particular. She had read of his past, the problems he had faced. He'd been through hell no other man would ever be able to describe, and here her mother was, forcing him to face the pain with no care at all. No empathy. You'd think she'd know better since she was a soldier herself.

Y/n would have to talk to her mother about him later...

A/N :

Thanks for choosing to read my story! Please give the rest of this story a chance :) As well as my other story :

Falling Under Pressure (Bucky Barnes x OC)

And my third work : Bucky Barnes Smut