Chapter 5 : Friendship

Both Sam and Bucky were in their battle suits, sitting opposite to each other on red fabric seats that were held up by red net like fixtures. Y/n sat close to Bucky, still slightly awkward.

"So, how do you know the grumpy, old man over here?" Sam asked her, gesturing towards Bucky who continued to stare at him.

"He's apparently my neighbour," she answered slowly, raising an eyebrow, noticing that Bucky was just staring...

"She's apparently my shrink's daughter," he added, still just staring...

"Wow. That's a cheesy romance," he teased, with a goofy grin forming on his face as he sat up in his seat.

Y/n furrowed her eyebrows at him as Bucky glared at him, causing Sam to chuckle at their reactions.

"We just met," the girl felt the need to add, pointing towards Bucky, hoping that'll stop the uncomfortable teasing...it didn't.

"Oh so you must be special then," he smiled at me, making me mentally facepalm.

Bucky glared at him again, continuing to stare at him. Sam returned the stare, challenging him while Y/n sat there awkwardly but slightly amused by their odd friendship.

"One minute 'til drop off Sam," Torres notified, walking straight past the three people sitting down while looking at his watch.

The two men sat up in their seats, Bucky leaning forward for a quick second before returning back against the seat with a small, quick smirk. Y/n let out a small chuckle at the two of them, but they were much too engrossed in their current activity.

Sam suddenly stood up from his seat, Bucky following while Y/n sat down, looking up at them as they went over to grab their ear pieces as well as Sam's goggles.

A bird though. They made him a literal bird... Y/n thought to herself with a small smile, shaking her head.

"So what's our plan?" Bucky asked before coming back over to sit down beside Y/n. Sam stayed silent, disregarding Bucky's question as he fit the earpiece in, barely even looking at Bucky.

"Great. So no plan," Bucky continued, looking up at Sam. Y/n sat there awkwardly again, glancing at Bucky whose eyes were on Sam.

"30 seconds!" Torres yelled out over the sound of the wind, making Y/n jump slightly at the sudden sound of his voice.

"Enjoy your ride Buck," Sam said casually, turning back to face Bucky and Y/n on the seats.

"No, you can't call me that."

"Why not? That's what Steve called you."

"Steve knew me longer and Steve had a plan," Bucky replied, causing Y/n to chuckle by his reasons.

"15 seconds to drop," Torres called out, making Sam begin to walk over to the edge of the opening in the plane.

"I have a plan," he stated simply.

"Really? What is it?" Bucky called out, standing up and throwing his hands out as Y/n watched their exchange, standing up with Bucky. For people who were supposed to be friends, they didn't exactly act like it.

Her eyes widened slightly after she watched Sam jump out of the plane with ease, until she finally remembered that he had wings. She sighed quietly to herself in relief as Bucky turned around in annoyance.

"Great," he muttered in a raspy voice.

"Where's the chute?" he called out to Torres, looking around the jet for a parachute.

"We're at 200 feet. It's too low for a chute," Torres explained as Bucky began to walk towards him.

"I don't need it anyway," Bucky replied, walking to the edge of the plane. This made Y/n's eyes widen. She immediately followed Bucky to the opening of the plane.

"You sure about that?" Torres asked him as Bucky looked down at the landscape in front of him.

"Yeah."

"You're seriously going to jump? Are you crazy? That's suicidal," Y/n felt the need to argue. She didn't want to watch him or anyone get hurt, especially without trying to help or stop them.

"Relax, I can handle this," he assured her before ripping the left sleeve of his leather jacket clean off of him, presenting his metal arm.

"No Bucky that's-"

The jet suddenly shuddered heavily. Y/n only then realised that she was much too close to the edge and wasn't even holding onto anything like Torres had been. She felt her foot slip off the edge of the plane, accidentally falling off, by now, plummeting to her death.

"Shit!" Bucky yelled, quickly jumping out of the plane to catch her before she would hit the ground.

Y/n didn't even have time to react, to scream. She knew what was coming. This was the end for her. The stories of her death would consist of, 'Stupid bitch accidentally fell off of a fucking plane because she tried to protect a person she didnt even know'.

Y/n closed her eyes, the weight from her body, evaporating quite literally into thin air, until she suddenly felt an arm wrap around her body. She was much too worried to even open her eyes to see whoever caught her.

She felt sharp leaves and branches, brushing against her skin quickly as she fell to the ground. She also heard the stressed grunts of a man as he fell with her in his arms.

She heard a loud slam when they finally reached the ground, only then opening her eyes, hearing a low, prolonged groan erupting from whoever was underneath her, his arm snaking around her waist from when he had to support her from the fall.

"Bucky?"

"I have all of that on camera, you know that right?" Sams voice projected through a tiny red device that looked like a bird, Redwing.

"Get out of my face Sam or I'll break it," Bucky said in a low voice.

"Shit that hurt," Y/n groaned, still laying on top of Bucky, unaware.

"You're still on top of me, how do you think I feel?" he asked, still splayed out on the ground.

"You're a super soldier, you can handle a little more weight," she half joked, pouting as she rolled off of him. Laying beside Bucky.

"Doesn't mean it's comfortable," he reasoned back, laying on the ground and staring up at the mechanical bird above them.

"What happened to staying on the jet?" Sam asked through the machine that turned towards Y/n's view.

"Do you think I wanted to fall off of a fucking plane?" Y/n shot back, glaring at Sam through Redwing.

"She got snappy real fast," Sam chuckled as Bucky groaned on the ground again, looking up into the sky.

"Shut up Sam or I'll break it," Y/n snapped back, lifting her head up slightly off of the ground, her hands laying at her sides.

"Ok, head north, come on," Sam said as Bucky stood up off the ground, holding his hand out for Y/n to take. Y/n grabbed it, letting him help her up.

"So I guess I'm joining the party..."

Bucky gave her a quick nod before running to follow Redwing, Y/n's hand still in his.