Chapter 20 : Sudden Appearance

"What the-" Y/n started, standing beside Bucky and watching Zemo who was out of ear shot, calmly conversing with a little girl.

They were outside, standing in a small marketplace while Sam headed upstairs to find more information on Donya Madani. So far, neither Bucky or Y/n had any luck with finding anything.

Sam came up to stand beside them as he said, "It's starting to feel like a dead end," looking out at Zemo as well.

"The hell is he doing?" Bucky questioned, all three of them staring at Zemo as a little girl whispered something into his ear. Zemo handed the candy that he had brought to the children and began walking back to the three.

"Cute kids," he commented with a smile and nod, walking past them to leave while Y/n and Bucky eyed him suspiciously. He was definitely up to something. They glanced at each other with questioning looks before following him back to the original building where they were staying for the time being.

"Well, we got nothin'. No one's talking about Donya," Bucky said as they walked in.

Both Sam and Bucky sat down on the couches while Zemo and Y/n headed to the kitchen. Y/n grabbed a glass of water before returning to the other pair and sitting down beside Bucky.

"Yeah, it's because Karli's the only one fighting for them. She's not wrong," Sam answered him.

"What do you mean?" Bucky asked, bringing his hand up in question before slapping it back to his thigh.

Y/n laid her head back with her eyes closed while Sam spoke, "For five years, people have been welcomed into countries that have kept them out using barbed wire. There were houses, and jobs. Folks were happy to have them around to help them rebuild. It wasn't just one community coming together, it was the whole world coming together...and then boom, it goes right back to the way it used to be."

"All because of a fucking space grape with saggy nuts as a freaking chin," Y/n groaned, her eyes still closed and her head laid back against the couch.

"Always saying things at the worst times," Bucky commented, making Y/n shrug and tilt her head to the side in agreement before Sam continued to speak.

"To them, at least Karli's doing something."

"You really think her ends justify her means? That she's no different than him or anybody else we've fought," Bucky said, gesturing to Zemo in the kitchen, preparing tea for them.

"She's different. She's not motivated by the same things," Sam reasoned, Bucky looking forward when Zemo came up to them with a tray of tea.

"That little girl. What'd she tell you?" Bucky asked him, making Y/n open her eyes and sit up in her seat, awaiting Zemo's answer.

He thought for a second, glancing at Sam before setting the tray down on the small table in front of them and saying, "The funeral is this afternoon."

Both Sam and Y/n looked at him with questioning looks, waiting for him to go on when Bucky said, "You know the Dora's coming for you any minute, in fact they're probably lurking outside right now...keep talking."

"Leaving you to turn on me once we get to Karli," Zemo shook his head before continuing, "I prefer to keep my leverage."

Y/n glared at him, watching Bucky stand up with forced calmness, making her whisper to herself, "Great."

She watched attentively as Bucky slowly walked over to Zemo until he was standing in front of him. She was in the middle of taking a sip of her water when suddenly Bucky grabbed Zemo's glass out of his hands, aggressively throwing it at the wall behind Zemo and making it shatter.