Chapter 34 : Finalities of the Night

Bucky and Y/n walked through the corridor to their apartments together, Y/n lazily leaning against Bucky as they walked, built up fatigue taking a toll on her after the last couple of days.

Once they made it to their doors, Y/n lifted herself off of Bucky, moving to stand before him, in front of their doors located next to each other. Just being in that corridor with Bucky made Y/n reminisce the day that she properly met him, other than their little run in during his therapy session.

She hadn't noticed that a tiny smile had formed on her face as she looked down slightly, until Bucky got her attention, "What are you smiling about?" he asked with a small grin at her as she looked up at him.

"Nothing, just..." Y/n cut herself off with a yawn, Bucky chuckling at her while she brought her hand up to cover her mouth throughout the duration of her yawn.

You should get some rest, he advised, but before Y/n could reply in any way, Bucky's phone began to buzz. He drew his phone out, answering it while Y/n gave him a curious expression.

"I'll be there," Bucky replied to the person on the phone, "Y/n's staying home," Y/n heard him say, making her furrow her eyebrows. She came to the conclusion that Sam was informing Bucky of a lead on Karli and the Flag Smashers.

"Whatever it is, I'm going, Bucky," Y/n interrupted, earning a frustrated sigh from Bucky while he listened to Sam on the other end.

"Look, we all need to be down there. Karli's planning something big for the GRC, Sam explained to Bucky, "I wouldn't put her at risk unless it was an emergency."

Bucky looked down at Y/n in silence, contemplating his reply while she looked up at him with hopeful eyes. She didn't know why she was silently pleading, looking for confirmation from Bucky, she wouldve gone either way. She just felt more at ease with Bucky's approval.

"Fine," Bucky reluctantly muttered, unable to say no to her. Sam quickly thanked Bucky before hanging up, Bucky sighing and pushing his phone back into his pocket, Y/n smiling at his inability to refuse her.

"Get dressed. We gotta go. Karli's planning something here for the GRC," Bucky explained to Y/n, making her instantly enter her apartment after sending him a quick nod.

Bucky let out a deep sigh, "Weak," he muttered to himself, reprimanding himself in disapproval.

-

"Stay close to me," Bucky reminded Y/n, holding her wrist as they made their way through the crowd of lower Manhattan where the GRC meeting was being held in one of the buildings. There were crowds of police and S.W.A.T teams armed with guns pointing up at the building.

"Stop worrying about me, this is more important," Y/n replied, but only received silence from Bucky as they made their way through the teams with guns. Bucky's face was painted with determination and seriousness while Y/n settled into her own slightly serious demeanor.

Two officers moved to the side to let Bucky through, "Sergeant Barnes," one of the officers addressed him with a strong nod of respect, but stopped Y/n from moving further with Bucky, although Bucky's grip was still on her wrist.

"She's with me," Bucky turned back to tell the officer, receiving an almost apologetic nod towards both of the two, letting them pass.

"Sergeant Barnes," Y/n teased with a small giggle, she may have made it out to be a joke, but it really wasn't to her. Someone after his 90 years of fighting and pain was finally treating him with the respect he always deserved.

Bucky ignored her comment, moving along with her before a mans voice said, "Excuse me, sir, ma'am. Are you supposed to be here?" he asked, making the two turn back to look at him with slightly anxious expressions by the sudden intrusion.