Chapter Fifty Six

"Can I take you out to dinner tonight? We can drive up to Sunset and go to Bossa Nova or something." Callum asked nervously.

I took a sip of my seltzer water and shook my head. "I'm sorry, I can't. My dad has a meeting out of town and I have to watch Spencer after school."

He frowned. "What happened to his nanny?"

"I gave her the day off, I wanted to spend more time with him." I said.

He looked down and rubbed his hands on his jeans.

"Is everything okay Callum? You seem off." I reached over and touched his cheek. "We can hang out later tonight if you want, Spencer's night nurse should be at my house around 9."

"I'm fine, really." He smiled. "And 9 is good. Can you come over to my house?"

I nodded and stood up. "I'll be there. Wanna come with me to the library before lunch is over? I need to return some books."

"Yea, let's go." He replied, grabbing our empty trays and taking them to the trash.

He came back and threw his arm over my shoulder as we walked out of the cafeteria. Being so close to him, I could feel his heart beat, which was strong and rapid as if he had been running. I looked up at him to see if he was truly okay. He met my gaze and smiled, pressing his soft lips against mine.

"I love you."

"I love you too." I said, kissing him again.

-

"I'll be back tomorrow morning, around 10. I will be at our place in the city if you need me for anything." My dad said before kissing Spencer on the cheek.

"We'll be fine Dad. I'll only be supervising your precious son for a few hours, then Matilda will be here to save the day." I laughed, rolling my eyes dramatically.

He laughed. "He is my precious son, and you are my precious daughter." He replied, kissing me on the forehead as well.

"Say bye to daddy." I whispered to Spencer, waving his tiny hand to our dad as he walked out the door.

I spent the next five hours taking countless selfies with my baby brother, desperately trying to make him laugh to no avail. He cried for a good 45 minutes, until I was finally able to put him to sleep.

His night nurse showed up around 8:45 and I'd never felt so happy to see anyone in my life. I quickly realized that babies wouldn't be a thought until the very distant future.

I took a quick shower to wash the spit up off of me. I put on a matching underwear set under my sweater and shorts just in case anything were to happen at Callum's house. I always like to be prepared.

I threw my new short curls into a pineapple ponytail, and texted Callum that I was on my way to his house.

When I pulled up to Callum's, I found him already outside, sitting on the stairs at the front of his house. It was drizzling outside, so his hair was wet, making his ususal blonde hair a darker brown.

He stood up when he saw my car, his eyes lighting up and a grin on his face.

I couldn't help but smile too as I got out of my car. He walked towards me, meeting me in the middle before wrapping his arms around me tightly.

His body was shaking, almost vibrating as we hugged. He hadn't been this nervous since the first time we had sex.

I rubbed his back and buried my head in the crook of his neck.