Chapter Thirty Six

I gently tiptoed over the sleeping six-year-olds, and silently made my way up the stairs. Callum's parents had gone to bed a little over an hour ago, but I waited to ensure that they'd be asleep before I went to see Callum.

When I got to his room, his door was ajar, so I didn't bother knocking, and lightly pushed it open. He was lying on his back with earbuds in and his eyes closed. I closed the door and walked over to his bed without making a sound. He must have realized that I was there, because he sat up and took out his earbuds.

"Come here." He said, patting next to him on the bed.

I sat beside him, placing one if his pillows on my lap. I avoided his gaze, feeling awkward about the exchange we had less than two hours ago.

"I want to tell you why I haven't returned any of your messages." He said softly.

"Okay, why?" I asked, looking up at him.

He exhaled before grabbing both of my hands into his.

"I know that I can get very angry at times, I've been that way ever since I was kid. After my brother's death, I was angrier than I'd ever been, for years. When we moved to the states, my parents put me in both anger management and therapy to deal with my issues, not sure any of it really worked." He laughed humorlessly.
"I understand why you threatened to end things with me, even though you say you didn't mean it, I know that there was some truth in it. Though it hurt like a bitch hearing it, it was a wake up call for me. The morning I left, I called my therapist and made an appointment. When you were calling me and texting me, apologizing and everything, I was so fucking embarrassed. You shouldn't have been the one apologizing, because you were right Dylan. You don't deserve to be with someone who can't control their anger. I love you so damn much Dyl, and I know that I need to work on myself and change so that I do deserve you."

I took my hand from his and placed it on his cheek, gently pressing my lips against his.

"You do deserve me." I said, staring into his emerald eyes. "And I deserve you, you are everything to me Callum Gage, and I don't ever want you to doubt that. We will work on your anger together. Just promise me one thing."

"Anything." He stated.

"Don't shut me out again, okay? I hated not talking to you."

"Never again." He said, hugging me tightly.

-

Three weeks had passed since Callum and I made up, and our relationship has been stronger than ever. I was still living at Amy's house, and her parents have yet to grace our presence. The night of Sara's sleepover, I told Callum the truth about why I moved out of my house. He felt like it was his fault and that he was one to cause a rift between my father and I, but I assured him that that wasn't the case. My father and I never had a healthy relationship to begin with, and I don't know if we ever will.

Nessa and I have been in regular contact, but have met a few times since finding out we were family. She told the rest of the family about me, and from what I gathered, there was a mixed reaction. Nessa didn't know what went down with my mother and the rest of her family, and everyone who did know something kept a tight lid on it. I was determined to get to the bottom of it, which is why I had accepted my father's invitation for Thanksgiving dinner tonight. He promised me that if I came to the dinner, he would fill in the gaps about my mother. My grandparents were in town, and I was sure that that was the reason why he finally gave in, because much like Eliza, my father loved to put on a show. He wanted his life to look perfect for his parents, but I've always hated all the pretense.

"Sure you wanna do this? It might just create more problems." Callum asked, giving himself a once over in the mirror.

"Yes I'm sure, there's no way my father will say anything to you especially In front of my grandparents, he's gonna act like everything is perfect. You're gorgeous, so you can stop looking in the mirror so much." I said, rolling my eyes.

"I just want tonight to go well, and I want your grandparents to like me." He said, wrapping his arms around my waist. "And I'm not gorgeous, sugarplum, I'm sexy. You're the gorgeous one, sexy too." He smirked, giving me a peck on my neck.

"Hey, no distractions." I scolded. "And you don't need to impress my grandparents, they don't like anyone. They're rich snobs who think they are better than everyone, why do you think my father is the way he is?"

"Well you're not like that, so he must've done something right." He mumbled as he trailed kisses down my neck.

"Cal, c'mon, we have to go." I moaned.

"Doesn't sound like you wanna go just yet." He whispered.

Coming to my senses, I pulled his arms off of me.

"No distractions remember, let's go." I said, grabbing my purse.

"Alright alright." He laughed, mock surrendering. "Going."

I stood in front of my house, wiping my sweating palms on my dress.

"Why are you so nervous?"

"I don't know, ugh why did I even come here." I groaned.

"You came here to find out more about your mom. So ring the doorbell and get in that house sugarplum."

I smoothed down my dress and blew out a breath.

"See this is why I love you." I said to him.

"I love you too, now ring the doorbell."

I finally rang the doorbell, and less than thirty seconds later, my father stood in the doorway.

"What is he doing here?" He asked, looking Callum up and down.

Here we go.