28| Speeding Train

Chapter 28: Speeding Train

The place glowed with red, blue and green lights, girls walking around in thongs and lingerie, dancing all around.

Jessica and I sat at the bar, laughing as she narrated about how she found her ex from high school cheating on her.

"... He just stood there like 'Jess, it's not what you think' and I'm like, 'is that so motherf*cker' so guess what I do?" She asked.

I shook my head, already hooked in the story as she narrated.

"I took all his clothes, his t-shirt, boxers and pants, I'd bought them for him last Christmas so if he was cheating on me, the least he could do was put some respect to it... Who f*cks in a janitors closet?"

We both burst out laughing, Jessica downing a shot of her whiskey. "And then he had to walk around the whole school naked for the rest of final period."

Damn, this girl was savage.

"I never imagined you could be this fun," she said to me.

I also never saw us simply chilling together (even if the environment wasn't ideal) and just chatting like friends, we've always been on each others throat, it was kind of hard to believe.

"You're cool, Maddie. I see why he would like you now," she mumbled without meeting my gaze.

"No Jessica, you're beautiful and a stunning lady, you don't have to settle for half love, there would be someone out there that sees you for you, that loves you... You just have to show them the real you..." I placed a hand on her shoulder, squeezing it softly.

She smiled, the bartender returned with Jessicas third shot, a grin on his face.

"Another whiskey for the lady." He placed the drink before Jessica. "Isn't your friend going to have something?"

I didn't drink and that was something I'd learned not to do after watching my dad battle with his addiction and anger issues for years.

I was even more surprised when Jessica took a defensive tone on my behalf.

"No, she isn't," Jessica said.

The guy, who'd identified himself as Dale turned to Jessica with an equal frown before simply staring at me and smiling. "Is there anything I can offer you?"

"She isn't hungry," Jessica said.

"I am kinda thirsty though... Is that okay?" I looked from Dale to Jessica who nodded.

"I'll get you some water?"

My phone pinged. It was a message from Ashton.

Ashton- hey! Wanna hang out! I've got some more cheesy romance we could watch ;)

Maddison- hehehe! My favourite... Unfortunately though, I'm with Jessica right now. Maybe later.

His reply came in a little slower, I took the time to take my first gulp of water, the place seemed a little hot and sweaty so I removed my jacket.

I glared up to find Jessica whispering to Dale some feets away from me, I winked at her as I presumed she had a thing for the hot bartender.

1 new message

Ashton- Jessica? Should I be concerned?

Maddison- nope! We've been talking and have a lot in common, she's really cool.

Ashton- okay... But if anything comes up, 911 is just a call away.

I actually spat out my water as I laughed so hard at the last message, I wiped my wet pants and took another big gulp of the cold water.